SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
roselee_gw

It's starting to heat up around here ...

And I'm not just talking about the weather! The hot summer colors are beginning to appear, like Kwanso.

A good alias for ole' Kwanso's triple deep orange petals would be "The Flame Thrower Daylily" ...

Of a different hue, but bright enough to almost put your eyes out is this First Lady Phlox in a pot by the front door. The red eye just makes her all the louder ...

Another bright phlox is Richard Poore. The white Acoma crape myrtle in the background tries to cool things down a bit ...

This color combo of old fashioned Summer Phlox and tangerine bougainvillia was unintentional, but appreciated ...

The caged plant blooms ...

Due to a long cool spring (not that I'm complaining!) the bougainvilleas are just starting to do their stuff -- the 'right stuff' to me. Alongside are more caged plants ...

Years ago as a new gardener I used to read magazine articles that said things like, "Mrs Soinso bans all orange plants from her garden" or "Mrs. Whatshername does not allow magenta colored flowers anywhere near her home" and I thought "Gee, I guess that's the way to be a really classy flower gardener." But as you can see I'm long past that. Oh well ...

But for those who might prefer a cooler color scheme there is Fanick's Phlox ...

And Rosa St. Cecelia is still doing her thing swathed in fragrant pale pinks ...

My friend Linda M. gave me several roses because the gophers were eating their roots and killing them. This 'St. Helene's Very Double Cemetery HT' was just a little stick when I got it from her this spring. It's a 'found' rose, meaning the original name was lost so the finder names it, usually after where he found it. In this case, the rose was probably found growing in a cemetery. She has a very strong scent of old rose ...

Felicia, another rose adopted from Linda, is of the Noisette class. She had to be lifted up off the grass to have her picture taken. I like to think she had stretched out her canes to offer her strong sweet scent. Her fragrance reminds me of my grandmother's face cream. I'm going to get the mulch guy to build a little trellis on which to attach her short graceful canes ...

This is a "Tumbling Flower Bug", not even 2 mm long, on a tiny flower in one Blush Noisette's large clusters ...

The bug wouldn't even be big enough for a snack for this anole lizard who is so graciously posing on a chocolate plant with his tail nattily draped through the leaf of a Pipevine ...

How is your garden doing? Is it heating up in more ways than one, or are you trying to keep it cool with cool colors? Both plans have their place :-)

Comments (15)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm