SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bobbi_p

First peek at my efforts...

bobbi_p
14 years ago

Okay, I've been putting off my unveiling of my "white garden," but when my red hibiscus that I abused in the pot all winter and feared dead this spring bloomed it's first 5 blooms yesterday, I decided it was time to give you your first peek at my efforts after all the questions you've fielded for me this spring.

Of course nothing is fully mature yet and there are some small things behind that will eventually mature and appear, but here goes. Non-gardening hubby requested it look "full." Of course we gardeners know that means I'll be thinning and moving things around as they mature. Overall I'm pretty happy with the results. I just need to get hubby to finish the build of the arbor for behind the pool! You probably have seen that pile of limestone in at least 3 different places behind the pool in the last year!

This is the red hibiscus I purchased from ARE in Independence last fall. Because I had no beds ready, it sat in the pot and I feared it dead this spring. It was slow to revive, but it began it's show yesterday. The blooms are at least 9 inches across. Anyone know the name/variety? I've been calling it "dinner plate."

Obviously, I've underestimated the size of the hibiscus and it's flanking sages. I'm also surprised that the verbenas are carrying on as long as they are. I really planned those to go with the now-faded Texas Gold Columbine.

A friend gave a few salvias. This one looks more intense than the other blue one. Is this S. guarinitica (Black & Blue)?

My Clerodendrum ugandense is very happy against our west fence: early morning/daytime sun and late afternoon shade. It's just too bright early in the morning for the blooms to pop.

I was smitten by how dramatic and all white/silver bouquet was that I purchased earlier this year. Thus my white/moon/scent garden was born. The brug isn't in full bloom, the plumeria is still short, the almond verbena will get much taller, and the eucalyptus are hard to see, but I'm happy with the results so far. (Hubby had asked me to "draw up" my design for his approval. I ignored him. He approves...)

I was so particular about only allowing white/silver in, that God had to thumb his nose at me and put a pink sport bloom on the top of this white lantana. I'm leaving it to remind myself that I'm not in control as I think I am!

The view from across the pool. It's small, but it's all I've got to work with until hubby gets the arbor built behind!

Ready for more caterpillars over on my fennel. They've been slow to show up and I'm fearing the babies I get are being parasitized! Here's a couple doing their work!

Thanks for looking!

Comments (7)