SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dirtgirl07

Too much sun on new tomato plants??

14 years ago

Hi all lovely tomato forum people. It's that time again and yes, I've missed reading all of your posts.

I have a question for the experienced gardeners. This year I took my 3 containers that I use for tomatoes, gave them new soil/compost/mulch as usual. Only I kept just one of the containers and took the other two to my parents house. (I'm only getting about a half day of sun now so their yard is better.) But my mother just informed me that their plants were looking a little 'sad'. Sorry, I haven't seen them myself to give a better description.

Since my one is fine and hasn't had to be watered, are their's 'sad' because they're getting almost a full days sun each day. Mom said that she's put a little water in but that the soil seems to be moist when she sticks her finger in it. I'm an underwaterer when it comes to the tomatoes for fear of ruining them.

Should I experiment with a little coverage at mid-day to see if that helps. When mine used to get plenty of sun in the middle of 100 degree summer, they might wilt a little mid-day, but come right back later so I don't understand this.

Oh and this year I didn't start from seed, these are store bought plants. And, if it helps, none of the plants has grown even half an inch since planting 7 days ago, but it has been staying relatively cool in the evenings here.

Thanks for any ideas! Beth

Comments (2)