SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pkapeckopickldpepprz

Tomato Ring success?

Anyone thats done this before I would greatly sappreciate tips and tricks to this kind of setup.

I never tried it before, but the same time I was reading up on lasagne gardening was when I first discovered planting tomatoes in a tomato ring. Doing what I do best I combined both those ideas. I layed down about 3 inches of compost then I placed in the center the wire cage creating the cylindrical shape. Then I filled the cage with oragnic materials I didn't use in my compost pile. Then I planted 9 tomatoes around the ring.

After the tomatoes got tall enough I mulched the base of plants and covered the partially composted compost. I used Eucalyptus mulch.

After the initial growing period I noticed the late afternoon sun caused the weak plants to wilt so I have screening covering the plants that get the ful;l sun and they are doing much better.

My question is for the tomato ring to work the tomato plants need to form aerial roots to start feeding out of the pile. Is it necessary to tie the plants stems to the cage? If so what is the best material to use as strihng tends to dig into the stems.

Thanks.

Comments (17)

Sponsored
Ngrained Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Custom Woodworking, Décor, and More in Franklin County