SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sammy_gw

Most successful tomatoes

sammy zone 7 Tulsa
14 years ago

I know that most of you grow tomatoes every year, and are far more informed than I.

This year I grew 15 plants, and was surprised at how much we have eaten and enjoyed.

The varieties that I am growing are:

2 each of Sweet 100

2 of Small Red Cherry

2 Jet Star

2 Celebrity

Beef Master

2 Better Boy

Old German

Early Girl

Caspian Pink

Beef Steak

Old German never gave us a flower.

We like them all, but will probably stick with the smaller tomatoes like Early Girl, Jet Star, and Celebrity. Caspian Pink may have been the best flavor, but we ran such a risk of damage from insect or animals when we have to wait for so long for the tomato to be ready.

I don't think we got that many tomatoes from Caspian, Beef Master, and Better Boy. When we ate them we were impressed with the size of the tomato, but it did not seem to end up being any better than the others listed.

The tomatoes are still producing, and that is nice.

Could you recommend some other options that we might like for next year? Some with wonderful flavor. I don't use chemicals except ant bait on the ground - just a little.

We grow in very large containers. Also I want to buy the plants. I still work, and don't have a place to start seeds. I am thinking about a temporary greenhouse to start or protect plants, but am not there yet.

Sammy

Comments (17)

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County