SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jimh6278

Weeds particularly bindweed (long)

jimh6278
17 years ago

I was just going to give a short answer to songbirdmommy on Virginia Creeper but this is more generally about invasive plants and especially bindweed.

Not dead sure about the Virginia Creeper but I had a similar problem with vinca and Bindweed. Everywhere. For the vinca I mowed it in the spring and hit it with roundup every month the first year and every couple months the second year. I pull the isolated plants by the roots. I made a big dent. I think if you make the Virginia Creeper a campaign the same way you can get it. If you have an aversion to Roundup you can try Burnout which is a concentrated vinegar. Very acidic but not persistent so there is no residual effect on the soil. It might take a couple years but is doable.

Bindweed is a different matter. It is pervasive and hides in grass, among plants, and gets in places where one cant use poisons. Last spring I discovered bindweed mites and the success other states have had with biological controls. I contacted the Utah extension agents for the USDA and they had never heard of the mite. They did send me to USU and following a number of inquiries on my part I was finally contacted by a representative of Animal and Health Inspection Services (APHIS) who apparently is the only entity with a permit to import a biological control into a state (actually a good idea).

Through several conversations it became clear that not only did they have no import program for Utah there was no education program regarding this control agent. There was one county weed agent in the state (Moab) who investigated the mites and imported and spread them in 2005. The Salt Lake County weed guy didnt even know the control existed.

Following even more conversations I made an appointment to meet the APHIS person in Grand Junction where the USDA had set up a collection farm for these things. The initial appointment was in the beginning of June last year. Well I got a call from her just before the day of departure and lo and behold, the mites were so successful at the collection site that there was no more bindweed for us to collect. I tried to keep in touch with her but I think she was a grad student doing this part time and it got dropped for the year.

A note about these mites Texas is the state that started the research and first introduced them. Many states followed and they will even give you contaminated bindweed in Colorado counties. No help in Utah to date. There is a lot of information available on the internet. Just Goggle "bindweed mites" and follow the links.

If there is one thing this group can do to help each other it is pursue this biological control agent for bindweed. It beats poison and works almost as fast. And it gets the roots. If any of you southern Utah folks could get and report current information regarding the Moab experiment it would be a wonderful help. If the mite is already established around Moab we can collect it without permit (I think). I think APHIS is only involved when you import INTO a state. I dont know how many of you fight bindweed but for those of us that do this could be a wonderful option.

Jim

Comments (32)

Sponsored