SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bobbi_p

A Year In The Life (and Death)

bobbi_p
14 years ago

I know we're all busy trying to assess the damages this past winter has brought to our gardens. This week was the first week I actually sweated a bit without too much effort in my garden. Thought you might enjoy sharing in my reflections on the rise and fall and hopefully beginning of the rise again of my garden.

A year ago, I was just able to begin thinking about gardening after a very stressful international move in March of 2008:

But in just a few months, my white/moonlight garden was going and a bit of color started to creep in to the back while I waited for dear hubby to get the arbor done on the back side of the pool:

By August, it was apparent things would have to be rearranged the following season:

December came, and the night before our first freeze, I noticed the first bloom on my edible passion fruit:

The next morning, it was apparent I wouldn't be harvesting any passion fruit!

Many freezes later, and I had to wonder what would come back:

It's a waiting game, but in Houston tradition, I pruned my Knockout Roses on Valentine's day even though we were still predicted a frost the following week:

With the first week of warm weather in months this week, it was time to clear out the obviously dead. The results made it seemingly barren:

But I got up this morning to see myself rewarded by the first bloom of Ducher:

And when I looked closer at every plant in the garden, I noticed a lot I hadn't as I was trimming all the dead wood this week:

My Knockouts in front have given me their first efforts:

As are the 3 types of bulbs I purchased from Southern Bulbs last fall:

Then my surprise out front when I noticed a Gallardia that wasn't open yesterday:

The first verbena:

The dianthus coming on strong:

And in back, all those things I know are there, but don't seem to "pop" like I want them to:

Blueberries:

Iceland Poppies and Calendulas I purchased when I had to have some color about a month ago:

And yes, I'll still have to wait and see about a few things like the bottle brush and the rest of my citrus:

But Mother Nature is here to remind us life goes on:

And this winter can't keep me from dreaming of the gardens I'll have this year as evidenced by my purchase of a bird bath today!

See you in the garden!

Comments (7)