SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
macthayer

How Deep Can I Re-Plant My Seedlings?

macthayer
16 years ago

I have seedlings that are close to 7 weeks old and about 18" to 2' tall. At the moment they are still in 4 X 4" pots. I am going away for several days, and I know they will dry out too much if I leave them in these pots, and I really don't have anyone to water them. However, I could easily pot them up into gallon sized pots, and those would stay moist enough to get through the time I'm gone. I've been looking closely at the stems. I know there's an area where the stem starts to change color -- it's bright green above it, and darker below -- and it has all of these "hairs" growing. I was always taught you could plant to this level. Can you plant any deeper than that and not risk stem rot? I only ask because it will still be a while before they go into the ground. I do have a "soil drench" I can use to prevent damping off, and I water with dilute Chamomile tea, which also helps greatly with preventing damping off. I'll need to repot before next week. Would it help to remove any stems that are currently in the way and allow them to completely dry over (heal over?) before I do the potting up? Any advice would be most helpful. I do not want to lose these carefully tended babies, and I can't miss this wedding either! Many Thanks! MacThayer

Comments (4)