SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dghays_gw

Mobile drought protection for trees.

dghays
13 years ago

I posted this in flgard, figured it might help someone here.

Just a note in case it's helpful to somebody. Around five years ago I installed a bunch of drip irrigation to the fruit trees further away from my house, since I'm on 1.5 acres. A couple months ago I made up a set of hoses which can irrigate up to 3 trees at a time with drip, and can be moved around from area to area. It is attached to your garden hose.

All this stuff is in Lowe's or HD drip irrigation plumbing area:

From your garden hose, attach a garden hose fitting (not pipe) regulator, which reduces pressure from your hose to what's appropriate for drip.

Garden hose to 1/2" drip hose adapter.

Buy 100' of brown drip irrigation hose. It has emitters (1 gal/hr) every 18".

I cut off a length which contains 4 emitters, and connect it to the above mentioned adapter. Connect a coupler next, which connects 1/2" drip hose to 1/2" drip hose.

Next, attach a length of 1/2" black hose. You might buy a 100' length of this too. The length here is depending on how far you think will work to reach your next tree, stretch it out so you don't make a mistake. Then add another coupler.

Add another brown hose with four or so emitters, then a coupler.

More black hose of length that reaches to your next tree, and another coupler.

Another 4 emitter length of brown hose, then a figure 8 piece of plastic which crimps the hose, effectively ending it.

Of course, this can be customized with fewer or more lengths of brown and black hose, whatever works for you. I made mine where sometimes the middle brown hose is watering only grass because the two trees I want to water are farther apart. I did this because I had all this stuff laying around anyhow, so there was hardly any additional cost. If you have to buy all this stuff from scratch, you might not want to do it. This should last for many years, and you can store it when the wet season (if) ever starts for real. This has kept my trees healthy in this drought, and I can precisely control how much water goes to the trees.

Gary

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Columbus Premier Design-Build and General Contractor