SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cleo88_gw

5 week old plants - should I pot up a second time? (pics)

cleo88
15 years ago

Hi,

Here is my first batch, started just over 5 weeks ago (the shorter ones on the yellow box are Sophies Choice and Red Robin):

I am still 4 weeks from when I plan to plant out. Here is one of the bigger ones - my Big Beef:

Here are the roots of that plant:

I should pot these up again sometime in the next four weeks, right? If so, when?

I was planning on using opaque 16 oz plastic beer cups - a little wider than their current yogurt cups, but significantly taller.

I am a little confused on this because in Carolyn's book, her recommendation for the size of the container for the first-and-final pot up seems tiny - "I transplant into plastic four-packs that have 2 inch cells", she says. Even if she is only starting seed 6 weeks before plant out, it seems like the plants would be extremely root bound by that time.

By the way, before anyone chastises me for starting too early, this was my first batch that was intentionally started 9 weeks out - most of my crop was started two weeks later, and my cherrys and wispy ones were started two weeks after that - they don't even have their first set of true leaves yet. So I knew these were going to be quite big and I might have to pot them up a second time. But I am surprised at how quickly they got this big!

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!