SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
breenthumb

labeling 'invasives' at plant swaps, etc.

breenthumb
18 years ago

I just read the whole thread "perennials you wouldn't recommend". Obviously we've spent countless hours (sometimes years) trying to rid our beds and yards of these overbearing pests. Yet they turn up constantly at plant swaps or sales--because WE DON'T WANT THEM.

It kills me to see lily of the valley selling for $3.00 each in a tiny pot at the garden center when I'm busting my buns trying to get them out of my rock garden and they've already lifted part of my driveway. But they are perfectly nice plants if planted in the right place and people know what to expect.

Doesn't it seem only fair to provide a little information/warning along with the plants being offered to unsuspecting fellow gardeners at a swap? I know garden centers don't always note the invasive factor either, but they are not giving them away free, which diminishes the temptation to plant a bunch of problems.

Please don't get me wrong. I've never planted a "swap-problem", thanks to GW. The LOV were here when I moved in, lemonbalm was brought as a "gift" from my visiting sister, my daylily bulbs were given to me by a friend who got them from her neighbor, and the ivy I rip out yearly was something I really wanted and nurtured from a good friend and next door neighbor. Sandy (too late smart)

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!