SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jeff_n_jessa

big order coming from Jene's - need advice!

jeff-n-jessa
15 years ago

Hi y'all

I pulled the trigger on an order yesterday, and am excited as hell! Starting next week, will be prowling the porch watching for the UPS guy :)

Here's what I've got coming:

- Wurtz dwarf avocado (3 gal)

- Cattley/strawberry guava (7 gal)

- feijoa/pineapple guava (3 gal)

- Ruby Supreme guava (3 gal)

- Emperor lychee (7 gal)

- cogshall mango (7 gal)

- Julie mango (2 gal)

- Ice Cream mango (7 gal)

There goes all my overtime money!

Anyway, I had an Ice Cream mango from PIN last year, and it died over the winter. Not sure what I did wrong (killed a miracle fruit too), since all the other tropicals did well.

I really want to do the right thing with these, and could use any advice you might have for these varieties. Specifically:

- soil: plan to use a modified Al's Mix (using mini-nuggets rather than fines, mostly due to lack of availability) - any other suggestions?

- fertilizer - have no idea what to use with these guys. The mango and Miracle Fruit last year got Miracid biweekly.

- humidity - this was definitely a deficiency last year. I had a new GH and was learning how to use it correctly. It was very dry in there.

- avocado - NO experience at all with these. Anyone ever get fruit from a potted avocado? Any special needs, given its more arid preference?

Of course, any comments about the varieties and your experience would be most helpful and welcome - and will aid in my impatience!

Thanks, Jeff

Comments (22)