SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melonpocky

At the risk of sounding dumb~

melonpocky
16 years ago

(but that is okay because this is my first garden plot)

I keep seeing the term "rootbound" and people instructed to "bury up to the leaves" for cupped plants about to be transplanted and I have questions about that.

First, obviously, what does it mean to be rootbound, and how would I know if my plant has become that way? What effect does that have on the plant, both in and out of the ground? And if they are rootbound, what can I do about it?

Second, when you say "bury up to the leaves" do you mean to bury the plant, roots and stem, up to the leaves, or to bury some of the leaves as well?

Third, I am going to transplant my guys into the garden within a week, so what things should I be looking out for? They've all been outdoors for almost a month (thank you, Texas) so I'm not too worried about sun and wind acclimation, but I am paranoid about them suddenly flopping over and dying-- does that happen often to new transplants? And I'm totally afraid of cutworms and earwigs-- I've read all sorts of cutworm preventions, but I haven't seen as many for earwigs other than the pan of oil trick-- does that actually work?

Ah, and another question-- with the bury-to-the-leaves thing, what measures can I take, if there isn't a stem I can effectively attach a straw or stick to, to help fend off cutworm (other than the toilet paper tube)?

I think I'm mostly just fretting.

I will add as an aside that I was in the habit of watering my seedlings every day because I thought that was what you were supposed to do. It's not like I was watering them heavily, but just a medium to light blop of water on the soil in the morning, and sometimes a little more in the afternoon if it looked to be a sunny day (they're all outside). I had to leave town for the weekend, so for two days my babies got no water from me and when I came home about half of them had doubled in height. I guess I never understood what exactly constituted overwatering, but my plants all told me by exploding while I was not around to love them to death or kill them with paranoia. So... yeah. I am slowly learning the ropes.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus