SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jrslick

Freeze Casualties? What to do with the injured?

Well it was cold last night! It was 18 degrees last night. I was able to find a small heater. I also used the hot water bottle idea and plenty of coverings. My wife informs me that she doesn't think I lost anymore than I had already lost. I lost close to 50% of my plants in one building two nights ago. It was too windy to keep it warm enough,despite my efforts. Last night the wind was calm.

I know I have some that are still alive and don't show a bit of damage. I have some that are dead, stem wilted and laying flat on the ground. What about the ones that are still standing upright and some leaves are damaged and some are healthy looking? What do I do with these. I want to just pull them out and start over with new plants. My wife wants me to cut off any damaged parts and wait. Several years ago we had high winds come through a week after we planted out our tomatoes outside. Many were reduced to a stem. We left many of them and they started to grow again. I didn't notice a decline in production with them. Could/will this happen with the injured ones this year?

What is your experience?

Jay

Comments (5)