SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
party_music50

Upstate NY Birds!

party_music50
11 years ago

Hello all -- I know this forum isn't very active, but I just saw a Red-Bellied Woodpecker for the first time in my life and I am very excited!!!

I've seen Downy Woodpeckers around here quite a lot over the years -- they're very gregarious and will come to the feeders and hang around the yard.

Two years ago I saw a Pileated Woodpecker. OMG they are HUGE!!! and beautiful, of course! It's the only one I've ever seen.

The past two years I've seen a lot of Orioles (always on my fruiting plants!) and I've hardly seen those at all since I was a kid. And when I was young I'd always see Rose-breasted Grosbeak but never see them anymore. The Red-Winged Blackbirds were abundant when I was young, and after not seeing any for decades, they have returned!

I'm not a bird-watcher but I do enjoy seeing and hearing such pretty birds around here. One of these days I hope to actually see a bluebird in NYS -- I've only ever seen them in Massachusetts, and since they are the official NYS bird, I really think I should be able to see one here! :p

Anyway, that's my excitement for the morning. :)

Comments (6)