SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nickutis6

Mountain Lions in NY

nickutis6
14 years ago

Last March 2009 we awoke at 3am in my moms house in Batavia NY to our dog going absolutely crazy-barking in the kitchen...we ran downstairs and froze when we heard the loudest scream ever right outside our kitchen windows....it sounded like a woman being murdered....our dog continued barking and we heard this scream 2-3 times more from different areas of our back yard....i honestly thought a women was being killed, until the very next scream came from the front of our house...in less than 5 seconds.....after some research on the internet, the only animal that makes this sound turns out to be a cougar/mountain lion. My family said they hear this noise quite often in the woods behind the house.

Just recently while we were home for Christmas - 2009 - my wife was walking our dog around my moms house in Batavia and saw a large greyish/black cat sitting just across the property line in the field about 50 feet away.....she said that it was easily as big or bigger than our 60 pound dog....the large cat was just staring at her and again our dog was going crazy.....she ended up running back inside the house as fast as she could. I went out to the area to see what kind of tracks i could find....i took a few pics with the cell phone....but cannot find a match of the prints so far.... I called the DEC last March and they said the same as they have told everyone else...that Cougars do not exist in NYS until there is solid evidence.

Comments (10)

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus