SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ridgetop01

Spring fever! What will you grow new this year?

Ok - the wind is howling, the snow is blowing in white clouds that make it hard to see sometimes, and I have spring fever! I guess that happens to us gardeners, and it seems particularly likely when you order seeds and plants, as that needs to happen very soon, getting you in the mood very early.

I am lusting after Astrantia major in some of the red shades this year - I have one, but it is hidden behind a rosebush. I want to grow a "swath" of them thru the shrub rose garden - supposedly they like semi shade, and they'd be nice to fill some of the bare spots around the roots of those leggy giants. I grow shrub roses exclusively, and that garden contains "Blanc Double de Coubert", "Reine des Violettes", "Prairie Dawn", "Therese Bugnet", "Hansa", and a few others that don't come to mind immediately, plus a massive Baptisia.

I'm also lusting after some of the multicolor baptisias (though I'm not sure where they'll go - they take up a lot of space) and an "Amber Gem" Hellebore, and one of the "Mouse Ears" variant hostas - a yellow one, or a variegated maybe.

Last year was interesting, I put in quite a few young plants from seed and some new purchases, so part of this year will be seeing if they come back and coddling them along a bit. Also I have a LOT of seeds (annuals) from last year that I need to use up - Zinnias, Calendulas, Kiss-me-over-the-garden-gate, Love in a mist "Persian Red", several Nicotianas, and Coreopsis "Mardi Gras" (that's a perennial). So, I don't need to order seeds, really - just some choice new plants.

What are you lusting after this year?

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting