SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
salsa_montana

Tomato Seedlings Yellow & Droopy - water ph?

14 years ago

My tomato seedlings are a month old and have been under lights 24/7 since sprouting. Originally sowed in peat pots, transplanted in last 10 days or so to 2.5 inch nursery containers with soil medium of 15% peat, 15% coconut coir, 15% perlite, 55% compost - ph balanced at 6.0 - then dropped the peat pot into this.

They did well until about a week ago, then began developing droopy and yellowing leaves. I have been careful not to overwater, but today they were dry enough they had to be watered. Unfortunately, it was not until after I watered them that I realized we had switched from distilled water to tap water about a week ago - bingo! I did a ph comparison of the water, and found the distilled to be about 5.5 while the tap water we've been using is at 8.5 - yikes!

Two questions: First, would purchasing some ph-down to add to the tap water be a safe choice? I have hundreds of seedlings, and the distilled water gets quite expensive - but if it's too risky, I'd rather spring for the store-bought due to the large number of seedlings I've already invested time and money into.

Next question: What can I do at this point, as I am sure it will be 3-4 days before the little guys need water again. I'm concerned that the high ph of the water is starving them from the soil nutrients. Should I let them be until they dry out, then start using proper ph water? Or should I add something to the soil at this point?

Comments (12)