SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
doubleij

diagnosis help: heirloom tomato seedlings have yellowing leaves

doubleij
15 years ago

I'm growing peppers and tomatoes in Jakarta, Indonesia. I received some tomato seeds a few weeks ago and they've sprouted nicely. This is my first time growing tomatoes and I deliberately picked heat-resistant cultivars (at least from notes on the internet). I am growing the Arkansas Traveller and Costoluto Fiorentino cultivars. I will be heading back to the US in a couple weeks and can pick up some nutrients and pesticides and such if there are good recommendations. Fertilizers here tend to run 20-20-20 or worse, so I don't even touch them. They don't label what's in the pesticides either! :)

First, the garden layout. I'm growing peppers and a few tomatoes in 6 square yards of space in my driveway underneath a transparent plastic roof with open net sides (keeps air circulation but protects from torrential rains). I am getting a drip irrigation system set up, but it's not quite in place yet. Before I was watering the soil via pop bottles submerged in the pots with pin holes (to avoid flooding on the surface and discourage weed growth). My soil seems quite good. Friable, well-draining, moist, etc. I have added compost to the tomatoes and I have spread less than a handful of goat poop around some of the larger plants. They're about 4-6 weeks old now.

Now, the problems:

1. The plants are still growing and producing leaves, but some of the lower leaves are showing signs of yellowing, almost like a scorch. The color moves in from the edges of the leaf and often affects older leaves lower on the plant, although some of the costoluto's are showing yellowing on all leaves. I've been good with watering, but perhaps not good enough?

2. Also, my Arkansas Traveller leaves are sort of curly instead of being straight and flat. Is this normal?

Any advice? Thanks in advance...

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor