SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
microphobik

How do I stabilize a possible hybrid?

Microphobik
11 years ago

Hi,

I am in New Zealand where heirloom seeds are relatively hard to come by. Often the only option I have is to buy them from Trademe. New Zealand's version of ebay. Often these seeds come from obviously small operations with handwritten labels, etc.

I recently bought and grew a few Aunt Ruby's German Green plants. One grew up to be a an Aunt Ruby's German Green as expected. The other grew up looking identical for a while, with giant large green leaves and a sprawling vine. With 15 varieties in my garden these two appeared identical compared to everything else. That is until the fruit set. One of the plants produced trusses of dark red tomatoes with green shoulders, the largest of which were about twice the size of a golf ball.

I am assuming that this is the result of a hybrid from a grower who was not very careful with separating her varieties, but it's impossible for me to know. The thing is these might be the best tomatoes I've ever tasted. Extremely sweet but with a nice touch of acid. The best in my garden so far, even compared to my Black Krims and Pink Brandywines.

In the event that this is a hybrid, I'm wondering what I can do to possibly stabilize it and be able to reproduce it next year. My only understanding is that if you plant the seeds of a hybrid the resulting plant will be totally different. More like one of the parents.

Anything that can be done other than just plant the seeds and hope for the best?

I've attached a photo in case it's not a hybrid and someone recognizes it. Anyone ever experience the same kind of thing? It would be a shame to see such a great fruit disappear for good.

Comments (31)