SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stephen90_gw

Help prevent Mango Murder! Advice needed for new gardener.

stephen90
13 years ago

Okay, I posted last night on the container forum(link to thread) about my mango seed's root trying to escape his little pot. Today, I saw that the root had grown... quite a bit. By tonight, it would have been pushing against the table and/bending in a way that would make it hard to remove without damaging.

I repotted, but I saw something odd when I did. It's bottom was opened like a flower and it had another shoot coming out of it near the root. Because of this, I'm concerned that I may not have planted him in the right direction (though its a bit too late to fix that). I drew a quick picture in MSpaint because I didn't want to risk keeping him exposed to air long enough to grab my camera. Hopefully it will do.

The "fuzzy" looking part at the curve of the large root is a bunch of small roots, the brown there indicates dirt, since I have no idea what they look like under the dirt. I didn't wash every bit of dirt off since it's being re-potted in similar dirt.

I don't know much of anything about mangoes. They can't grow outdoors here, but I thought it might be fun to try to grow one as a houseplant.

Please offer any advice you can give to help keep this hopeful home horticulturist from becoming a malicious mango murderer!

Comments (3)