SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
im_a_believer

Questions about OP and F1 hybrid tomatoes

im_a_believer
16 years ago

I think I've spent most of the day reading about tomatoes because of a quest to find a good roma type tomato. For the past 4 years I grew LaRossa which I purchased seed from Pinetree Gardens, and they no longer carry the seeds. I like their small packets because I don't need many plants, but loved LaRossa to use in my canned Salsa.

And then this year Sungold seed prices seemed sky high to me and I was trying to figure out why. Then I wanted to know more about tomato hybridization and found several links from this forum to a couple sites that gave me all the answers I was looking for.

But then those answers led to more questions.

1) Are there any Sungold or Sunsugar F8s or F9s out there?

I'm a *sweet-sweet* cherry tomato lover and these hit it for me and for *most* of my farmer's market customers. In the past years I have either grown singly Sungold or Sunsugar, but never both during the same year. I myself could tell (or remember of) any taste difference between the two except that Sunsugar did seem a bit more crack resistant, however, the year I grew Sunsugar was less rainy that the years I grew Sungold. Last year I had lots of volunteer plants from Sunsugar. Most were very very good and just as good as the F1 seed grown plants. [I had two plants that produced very nice uniform fruits that were peach colored. They were very sweet and flavorful (too me anyway) but cracked very bad. I so wished now after reading what I have, that I had saved some seeds from those just for the color and sweetness and size.] So with respect to question 1), if there is already someone who has carried down the line of Sungold or Sunsugar, which is very similiar to either, I would love to get seeds and carry on with harvesting my own OP seeds, instead of having to purchase such high-priced F1 hybrids. If not, I think I would like to try it myself based on last years F2 generation.

2) When do OP seed grown plants become *heirloom*...is there a number of years, or do they ever?

What leads to my next questions is that tomatoes are self-pollinating. From my understanding of what I have read, pollen from one tomato flower pollinates that ovule of that same tomato flower.

3) If you are growing heirloom or OP tomatoes, what are the chances of two different types being cross-pollinated? If the chances are high, how far apart should different varieties be grown to help insure no cross-pollination?

4) And lastly, how the heck do the hybridizers do it? For instance those who are producing the Sungold tomato seeds. I could certainly understand high prices on F1 hybrids if they actually manually hand pollinate flowers. And even then...how do you do that? Those little flowers are so tiny, and how do you keep them from fertilizing themselves. Are there any websites that show photos of this process?

This is off-topic, but I really love Candy onions. So in 2006 I left 2 bulbs in the ground and they went to seed and I saved seeds in 2007, and sowed them a few weeks back. I just found out that Candy is F1 hybrid. Waaa. There is not an ONION forum like Tomatoes here at GW. Can anyone suggest any sites for hybridizing and line breeding onions (if they are similar in having 2 genes) or should I ask that at the hybridizing forum? [I seldom visit there.]

Also would love to know of any tomato sites or registries that list the parents of F1 hybrids ... or are they seldom told?

Thanks for any info. :)

Comments (4)