SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
2ajsmama

Questions about OP - tomatoes and others

2ajsmama
13 years ago

OK, this may be a dumb question, but is OP a concern with current-year fruit (tomatoes, cukes, and peppers - I think peppers are a fruit)? I want to start some seeds of heirloom OP varieties, my cousin has some German Johnsons and Cherokee Purples from last year, we both want Brandywine as well this year. I don't think he had a problem with cross-pollination of the 2 last year (fruit looked true to me) but he says you have to isolate them (I don't know if that's what he did). I thought that was true only if you were saving seed? If we start from bought seed every year and don't save our own seed do we have to isolate just to get true fruit each year?

Same with cukes and peppers - I want to plant a French cornichon variety that is OP, and another (Little Leaf) that can be left covered if pollination might be a problem. Also sweet and hot peppers of varying heat - but all OP, I plan on overwintering the hot peppers in the house since they are also ornamental and will stay compact, so I won't have to start those again next year. But if I plant them (or grow them in pots) outside near each other or sweet peppers, will the peppers each year start tasting all the same?

Thanks

Comments (6)