SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tedln

Question To Carolyn about Better Boy Tomato's

tedln
15 years ago

Carolyn,

You posted the following reply to a question in the Supersonic thread. I didn't want to hijack the thread to ask a question, basis your reply; concerning Better Boy tomatoes.

"The earliest hybrids developed had just two parents and both of those parents had to be open pollinated (OP)and did not have to be heirlooms and most did not have an heirloom parent.

All heirlooms are OP but not all OP's are heirlooms.

Big Boy F1 and Better Boy F1 each have as one parent the variety Teddy Jones, which is a large pink fruited variety from the midwest.

Whenever F1 seed is needed the same two parents, TJ being one of them, are crossed in a controlled manner, to provide the F1 seed that's sold.

More modern hybrids are initially formed using two breeding lines, let's call them A and B.

Up to four OP genetic inputs can be bred into line A and the same in line B. The last OP in each line is then crossed with each other to form the F1 seeds that are then sold.

Those last OP selections in each breeding line are maintained and whenever new F1 seed is needed those two last OP selections in each line are then crossed again and again to produce the F1 seed. "

I have grown better boy for many years with great results. I simply purchase plants every spring since I don't have the patience to grow from seed. This spring, I planted my better boys, and decided to allow some of the seed sprouting from tomatoes which dropped last year to continue growing. Since I don't totally understand the F1, F2, F3, and "growing true" terms, what should I expect to be produced from the seeds from last years better boy tomatoes? Should I expect one of the parent plants of the better boy hybrid to be the result of last years seed?

Thanks

Ted

Comments (7)