SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
andrew_scott77

Cultural questions regarding pot grown persea 'Day'

Andrew Scott
14 years ago

Hello evryone,

Okay fellow tropical fruit growers, the 'Day' avocado has been in my care for a few days now. I was hoping that the fast warming pattern was going to keep us from frosts again but it got very close to 32 last night. I have not taken it outdoors yet because of the cold. From what I know, they do not like cool temps so I plan on leaving it indoors untill warmer nights come. The tree came in a 6 inch pot and I quickly repotted it last night thinking it would grow as fast as my seedling. I question that now because the root stock is what dwarfs the tree right? I am now thinking it will grow slower. Logees said that it would fruit once it grew to 3ft tall. They claimed it would take 1-2 years to get that large. That doesn't concern me. What does is that I have read that avocado trees that have been transplanted are more sensitive to shock. I transplanted it last from the 6 inch pot to the 10 inch pot. Is that too big too fast? I know that they are also sensitive to root rot. How many days do you think the soil can stay wet before the roots begin to suffer. Thanks for any input. I paid good money for this tree and I don't want to lose it. If it is as easy to grow as the seedling avocado then I have nothing to worry about.

Andrew

Comments (8)