SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annafl_gw

brown fronds on australian tree ferns

annafl
18 years ago

I have several australian tree ferns. Three are in an area that gets flooded very occassionally when it pours. Five are in an area with perfect drainage. Recently, almost all of them started getting a lot of brown fronds prematurely. The ones in the poor drainage area all have gotten many more than usual. The ones with good drainage have also suffered, but not as drastically. What's funny, is that the fronds that turn brown are not neccessarily the ones that are the oldest. They are the inbetween layer. Some of the oldest also brown, but what's unusual, is that the fronds that should be at their prime are the ones that are browning the most.

One day I saw a bunch of bees (maybe some kind of wasp instead) bunched on one of the fronds. Not sure if this is related.

Anyway, wondering if anyone has had this happen. I don't know if it is drainage related, pest related, disease related or what. No evidence of disease that I can see. Such a strange pattern of death of fronds, it makes me think it is a pest. Any ideas?

Comments (6)