SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pjtexgirl

outdoor cats...speaking of unmonitored animals

pjtexgirl
16 years ago

There is a controversy about indoor/outdoor cats. I believe cats should only be in the house or cat fenced. I believe cats are domesticated and need the same protection as dogs. That's my personal opinion. A situation I encounterd recently is one of my reasons why. I'm just putting this out there and not trying to judge anyone.

I own a cat that was an "outdoor" cat in the neighborhood of one of my clients. She is a sweet Mainecoon cat. She uses her box except the occasional detour in the bathtub. I can personally live with that because it's easy to disinfect. We trim the nails so she can't wreck the furniture.

Here's the story of how I ended up with this cat. Kitty is extraordinarily cat aggressive. This "outside"kitty was literally tearing off my client's window screens to get at her indoor kitties.This kitty LOVES flowerbeds,grass and container gardens for doing her "bussiness".She really gets into digging around. This kitty was tearing up my clients flowerbed,spotting the grass(she'd go there too like a dog!) and destroying potted plants completely. I mean my client's potted plants were dying. Replacing window screens is a pricey PITA,my client's cats were becoming stressed by the "crazy cat" trying to get at them, and my client couldn't open the windows for a breeze on a cool day! It was maddness. I'll bet the owners of this lovely cat had NO CLUE what was happening with their cat.

My client's DH set down the law. The cat gets trapped and sent off to the shelter. If the cat comes back and continues wrecking the house it's getting euthanized. So I took the cat and she is now in my house doing fine. She never encounters other cats(she is an only cat here),she's not in danger from angry neighbors, and she's no longer at risk for dog attacks or cars hitting her. Just a thought.PJ

Comments (14)