SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stitches216

Who got rain yesterday? (ranting)

stitches216
18 years ago

For all the blow ups on the weather radars, we sure got a whole bunch of nuthin,´ in the New Friendswood Desert!

I don´t mean to be a whiner. But the Texas climate in these parts sure has taught us a lesson these past six years. It is one of these extremes, hardly ever moderate: flood, or drought, or scorching heat. It is almost enough to make me ungrateful for the mild winters. (OK, I did enjoy last year´s extended coolness into the spring.)

In 2000, it was four rainless months culminating in 110 degrees on Labor Day weekend. From 2001 through 2004, the rain was wonderfully abundant. We even got SNOW on Christmas ´04! But 2005 and so far this year, we wait and wait...hear thunder, and then...nada.

How can even the native plants stand this?! One year, their roots have to breathe under water. The next, the leaves had better drink dew and hijack gnat sweat, or else they are shriveled by 10 a.m. We can´t plan, or afford, a landscape that hosts tropicals one year, then only cacti and succulents the next!

I NEVER complain about too much rain. I RARELY complain about heat. But drought ALWAYS bothers me. Thanks to everyone for tolerating my rant. Good luck getting rain!

Comments (5)