SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tazebell

any 'after-blight' care for garden this year?

tazebell
14 years ago

After suffering a devastating season last year thanks to the late blight that wiped out all of my tomatoes, I am planning a full on plan to prevent that from happening again, as best I can. But I need some help figuring out what I need to do.

First, I will be planting in some of the same beds due to size limitations. Do I have to do anything to that ground to "sterilize" or remove any spores that might be lurking?

Do I need to add anything to the soil before planting? Compost, amendments, etc.

When I plant the tomatoes, do I add anything to the hole? Old timers here say a tablespoon of bleach and one of Miracle Gro.

What external ideas should I look into such as providing a cover over the growing plants to keep the rain off, preventing so much water from splashing on the leaves.

I know to mulch more to keep those lower leaves from staying wet.

Finally, is there any sprays or chemicals that should be incorporated in a plan of action to prevent the blight from striking?

Thanks for any help you can offer. You should see the list of varieties I have and I spend my days staring at them, wondering if this year will be the year I have tomatoes the likes of which this part of southwest Virginia have never seen!

Comments (10)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES