SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
david_5311

'New' garden -- 2 years after first plants...

david_5311
16 years ago

Well, finally this past weekend, with unseasonably mild weather (the politically uncorrect side of me who hates living in the north says 'bring on global warming'...), I manage to take some pics of the garden. No killing frosts here yet, wonderful flowery fall even in a new garden.

I am going to post pictures in small groups so that they are manageable for me. First, the large front borders. I built these starting with nothing but almost pure fine sand in the fall of 2004. I added about 100 yards of not-too-mature horse manure, the cheapest local organic material I could find. I planted lots of transfer woody and herbaceous plants in these beds in the fall of 2004, only to see most of them engulfed with 8' weeds and die in a hot dry summer of 2005. But I cleaned all that out last fall, and this is how this area looked almost exactly 1 year ago to the day:

{{gwi:197807}}

After planting many hundreds of perennnial plugs last spring, 1 year after the above picture, same view:

{{gwi:279798}}

And a Cedrus libanii stenocoma (hardy z 5) that I moved, last fall:

{{gwi:197808}}

and now

{{gwi:279799}}

More front garden pictures:

{{gwi:279800}}
{{gwi:279801}}
{{gwi:279802}}

I think these will become my favorite sunny areas of the garden. There is nothing like large garden planting areas THROUGH WHICH you walk on a path. Far more compelling to me than beds viewed across a lawn or other surface.

More to follow....

Comments (40)