SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
eldys_gw

Post Your Springtime Garden Pictures!

eldys
17 years ago

Well, despite the erratic weather patterns manifesting themselves throughout the country, we are technically in Spring - I think it would be nice to celebrate the coming warmth with some pictures of our tropical garden specimens returning to life (or, for those of us in more-or-less tropical areas, our gardens continuing as usual)! I'll start things off with a few photos I took earlier today:

Sweetheart lychee in growth flush (almost 2 years old now):

New Growth on an Arkin carambola (also about 2 years old):

Here's the whole carambola tree:

Pomegranate flower:

Breadfruit ready to go in-ground this month:

Comments (26)

• tropicaliste
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

No fair!!
    Lol, awesome trees, eldys!

• eldys
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you very much, tropicaliste! Here are a few more:

Here's a trio of Annonaceous fruits - first, my soursop (Annona muricata), which is putting out a lovely new set of growth:

Next, my biriba (Rollinia deliciosa) from Brazil is also filling in nicely:

My Geffner atemoya (Annona cherimola x squamosa)finally started putting out new growth a couple of weeks ago - I hope it has a long growing season to make up for the delay:

Moving on to citrus, here's my blood orange bearing quite well in its pot...

And my Buddha's hand citron in flower:

• Related Discussions

Post pictures of your urban/community garden!

Q

Comments (7)
    Thanks for the compliments! I will keep updating as things continue to grow. The only plants that haven't yet set fruit are my baby bell peppers and, of course, my bhut jolokia (not expecting to see anything out of that til probably late july/august). I was a little disappointed, because I don't think I got any black cherry tomato plants. I planted a bunch of different seeds in March, but I chose the healthiest seedlings to plant in May, so I guess none of them made the cut. I have learned from my mistake, and I will definitely label my seeds next year! I planted Gold Medal, Brandywine, Brandywine Purple, Cherokee Purple, Julia Child, and Black Cherry. I am assuming the big one in the picture is a Brandywine, but I'm not certain. One of the other plants has slightly smaller fruit with some darker green stripes up on the shoulders, and I'm thinking that might end up being one of my purples.
    ...See More

Posting Your Pictures Here On Garden Web Forums

Q

Comments (19)
    You're welcome, I'm sorry it's not working for you. It shouldn't make a difference but what browser are you using? I use IE for GW and Firefox for most everything else. Can you make another post and include a link to one of your pictures that you would like to post and I'll give a try and see if I can see what's happening? Greg Southern Nevada
    ...See More

Post your pictures here (Flower Shows, Gardens)

Q

Comments (46)
    The spiky purple plant is Bauer's Dracaena. So far I've actually been able to keep it alive in a window in my guestroom so it will be making a return appearance this season. It was growing in a pot. I probably had close to 70 containers last year. The Brugmansia is 'Charles Grimaldi'. I bought it in a gallon container at a nursery last spring so it's not old at all. They grow really fast. I took cuttings and had no luck keeping them alive but the mother plant stayed potted in the basement all winter mostly dormant. She is now starting to send out new growth-should be interesting this year. The biggest problem I have when I have success wintering over something tender is accomodating the size in year two. Last fall I had to let a banana get frosted because it just got too big to bring inside. Peregrine, great shots of the Boston show. Your closeups are exquisite. With all the wonderful pictures, I don't feel so bad about missing it. Sue
    ...See More

Keep Forum Alive Post! LOL...Your Most Beautiful Garden Picture

Q

Comments (20)
    These are clickable thumbnails I thought I would add some more pics. These were taken several years ago but I still grow them. The first one is a Dracunculus vulgaris and the second one is a Sauromatum venosum. They are usually refered to as voodoo lilys. The blooms smell like rotting flesh. Not for everyone I suppose. jim_6b
    ...See More
  • patusho25
    17 years ago

eldys, you got a great looking tropical fruit tree collection and theyre thriving and bearing fruit! I can´t post anything since I have anything in the ground, yet.

Are you missing a chico sapote in your orchard (one of my top 5 trop fruit), love the ones with the sand texture ;); or a mamey?? I didn´t see a picture of that one.

Cheers.

• eldys
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Patusho, thanks for the kind words. Mamey and chico sapote (which I call nispero, or sapodilla if I'm talking to Anglo-Americans) are both popular in local dooryard culture and grown commercially around here - I know enough people who grow them (like my next-door neighbor) that I'm never in short supply, so I don't really feel the need to devote my limited yard space to them. If I didn't know so many people growing them, however, they would both be at the top of my list; A well-chilled nispero is one of the best treats the tropics have to offer, and you can't beat a good mamey shake!

By the way, how is your pedalai doing? I remember you posting an excellent picture of it a couple of months ago. I just put one in the ground, but it doesn't seem to like unfiltered sunlight - do they need shade when they're young?

• patusho25
    17 years ago

Well, being in sapote land, jeje (that would be Mexico) I can find these at the local market also but I just love this fruit since it does great with drought and extreme heat (that would be my city) that deserves an space in my little yard.

The pedalai looks like it has seen better days. About a month finally pushed the first leaf after the winter because it warmed in here till about 19ºC-21ºC in the morning but suddenly it cooled again to 14ºC-16ºC so that leaf was almost completely destroyed (only a 10cm piece is left). Fortunately it´s warm again and it´s just about to put out another leaf.

Mine one was in deep shade when young and believe it doesn´t like much sun when less than 2 ft. But then weather here is very hot and dry. Hope you post a picture when it recovers.

• patusho25
    17 years ago

forgot I do have a jackfruit tree in the ground (there are acutally two of them growing just 2" apart and 1 ft away from the nemm tree ;()!!.

here it is, long branches because of shade. believe it´s almost two years old and no sign of flowering. It´s about 2.5m tall.
    {{gwi:1309114}}

• dghays
    17 years ago

Your sweetheart lychee looks great. I have one too doing pretty good, but not as good as yours. What var of pomegranate is that? One of mine has orange flowers not yellow, haven't seen my other's flowers yet. Thanks for sharing your pictures.

Gary

• eldys
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Patusho, that's an interesting placement for the jackfruit trees - I've heard of people hedging with them in India by planting that closely, but I don't think they produce very well. I agree, by the way, that the shade is probably making your trees a bit leggy. Still, they look very healthy and make for a very unusual conversation piece! I'm sorry to hear that your pedalai has been having a rough time with the unseasonably cool weather - I'm sure it will recover just fine, though. I think I'll be setting up a shaded enclosure for my pedalai, at least for the next year or so.

dghays, thanks for the kind words about the lychee. My variety of pomegranate is the hipolito cultivar which Pine Island carries - I'm told that it fruits reliably in our humid climate, although the color isn't as red as one of the commercial varieties (like 'Wonderful').

• dghays
    17 years ago

Eldy, I think mine which now has fruit is a hipolito from PI too. Odd they would have different colored flowers. I'll try to email Eric there to ask why. I also have a 'viet' from Excalibur, but I'm pretty sure that was the smaller of my two pomegranates, and hasn't flowered yet. I'm cultivating some cuttings of Fleischman's and Wonderful also.

Gary

• ohiojay
    17 years ago

Been working in the greenhouse the last couple of weeks trying to straighten up, organize, and dig holes for planting some into the ground. I'm finally done and can give my back a rest! Here's some pics...the white powder is diatomaceous earth hoping to kill aphids:

Here's my stubborn, "seems to be in a forever growth freeze" mangosteen. Still needs to be with the humidifier which is distressing. The little container in the corner are longan cuttings from several weeks back. They actually are growing out. Only time will tell if they rooted out well.
    {{gwi:1309115}}

Nam Doc Mai mango's new home. I think the hole is way too big considering the whimpy root structure the plant had. It's just now starting to recover from the transplant. Hopefully I won't lose any of the tiny fruit developing.
    {{gwi:1309116}}

Whitman pineapple...slow slow slow.
    {{gwi:1309117}}

Mayong Chid maprang. It's had buds forming for quite a while now...still waiting for the growth flush.
    {{gwi:1309118}}

Wax Jambu...the aphids really like the new growth on this plant and has distorted the latest growth. Sad.
    {{gwi:1309119}}

Cherimoya seedling.
    {{gwi:1309121}}

Grumichama. I love this plant. Beautiful leaves and it seems to be in a constant growth flush.
    {{gwi:1309123}}

My sugar apples I grew from seed from Thailand. I cut the ends back just a tad and went with Lisa's suggestion and removed the remaining leaves. They are in the process of a nice flush. Lychee in background. The stump on the left is the rootstock of the Rongrien rambutan I lost. I have another coming from Bryan(Montoso) next week along with a couple of scions I'm going to attempt to graft onto that stump.
    {{gwi:1309124}}

Persian lime. Great limes for my wife's Thai cooking. Also go real well with my Corona's!
    {{gwi:1309125}}

I call this my BIG HONKING HOLE. Didn't seem that big until I had to make multiple trips for the block, which is not even finished, and the amount of dirt required to fill it to where it is currently at. Needs much more too! Future home for my Golden Nugget jakfruit.
    {{gwi:1309126}}

Dwarf yellow cherry tomato in bloom.
    {{gwi:1309127}}

Another tomato in an inverted hanging planter. It too is in bloom and has some small tomatos I'm eagerly awaiting. The rest are some of my tomatos and peppers that will go into the garden next month.
    {{gwi:1309128}}

My key lime started from seed four years ago. This plant has been thru hell and back thanks to multiple spider mite infestations...and my efforts to control them. All the pruning has certainly delayed any chance of blooming. As you can see, I have it tied up or otherwise it would be all over the place. This was my first plant grown from seed so it has some sentimental value going for it as well.
    {{gwi:1309130}}

Some of my dragon fruit making their way to the grid supports. I recently cut one stalk near the top and it is starting to send a few new branches out.
    {{gwi:1309132}}

Ahhh...my lower limb challenged Kohala longan. As you can see, I've cut back two of the three branches and they are filling in nicely. I also took a few of you guy's suggestions and attempted an air-layer. I'm kinda anxious to lop off the rest of it and get the plant going the way I want.
    {{gwi:1309133}}

Navel orange.
    {{gwi:1309134}}

Alano sapodilla. Still flowering...still no fruit developing.
    {{gwi:1309135}}

Meyer lemon.
    {{gwi:1309136}}

Tamarind grown from seed from Thailand. Just starting a new growth flush. Dropped a bunch of leaves after repotting.
    {{gwi:1309137}}

My Garcinia Livingstonei's around the edge of the mango hole.
    {{gwi:1309138}}

My shade lovers. Garcinia Brasiliensis lower left. Two on right are Garcinia Madrunos...the burnt leaves were a reminder that they weren't ready for less shade. Small ones in back are mangosteen seedlings.
    {{gwi:1309139}}

Pomegranate from seed.
    {{gwi:1309140}}

Miracle fruit.
    {{gwi:1309141}}

Dwarf cavendish and pup.
    {{gwi:1309142}}

Namwah and pups.
    {{gwi:1309143}}

• ohiojay
    17 years ago

Forgot my plumeria! I partially buried the container.
    {{gwi:1309144}}

• User
    17 years ago

Wow.

I'm sending all of my plants to you.

• patusho25
    17 years ago

Beautiful and healthy fruit trees Jay you got in there. I loved all but that little %&!" mangosteen, it doesn´t deserves that space in your great GH, get rid of it and put another great fruit tree, you seem to have most of the greatest already, though.

• ohiojay
    17 years ago

SB...you'd rethink that if I posted pics of lost plants! I came within a gnats behind to losing the mango after the transplant. I'm just relieved to have the place straightened up. It was killing me having everything piled up on top of each other, bags of this and that stacked up, tools, dirt...hurting back.

Ahhh Patusho...that ugly little mangosteen was the reason all this started in the first place! I WILL get one going if it is the last thing I ever do.

• User
    17 years ago

What's on the cards?

• patusho25
    17 years ago

yeah, we all want a thriving mangosteen until they die several times on us (you still are in the deny phase LOL, cya in the next ones) . I firmly believe is easier to move myself to the mexican pacific coast than making it grow 60 km away from there.

• Eggo
    17 years ago

Here's some shots of things over here. Lots of blooms, unusual things, and buzzing here.

Albino banana. Pretty to look at but it burns to a crisp in direct sunlight. And its also useless.

Cherimoya blooms. Looks like a good year for cherimoya. I got three new seedlings blooming this year.

Longan blooms. WTH...yeah its crested. unusual.

Emperor lychee. New planting this year after the kuini in this spot died from the cold snap.

New guanabana plantings. New plantings, the two large ones here didn't make it through the cold snap either.

Guavas. Begining to bloom.

Its alive!!!! Its a Nam Doc Mai mango. The cold snap left all the limbs burn and dead, a few survived and is begginning to push new growth.

Bananas. Beginning to push out a bloom.

Persimmons. Lots of bloom this year. Almost all the blooms looks to be on new growth, a little unusual as we usually get blooms by themselves or vegetative growth and not so much together.

Pummelos. 3 and a half years!!! Since I grafted over an old citrus tree in the yard with pummelos. Finally the grafts are begginning to bloom. Usually doesn't take this long but who knows why this one pummelo did.

Grapes, not very tropical but I'm hoping to get some fruits this year

And a swarm of bees under the cherimoya tree. =)

Also lots and lots of cherry tomatoes beginning to sprout up. I spent 15 bucks on seeds!

• ohiojay
    17 years ago

SB...a little silly I know but I actually put info about the plants on those cards and laninated them. Latin name, common, Thai name, where I got it, and anything else that might be interesting or useful. Makes me feel like I'm at a real conservatory! "Now as we enter the next wing of the exhibit...".

Nice shots Eggo. Didn't you have an Emporer that fruited last year? As for the bees? I don't know man. That would probably be the end of my garden visits. Killer bees dude!

By the way...this was the first day that I did not spend any time in the greenhouse breaking my butt and back. It felt good. Peace all.

• Eggo
    17 years ago

We could call it the OhioJay Conservatory!!
    Jay, my Emperor lychee did fruit last year. This is another airlayer I had in the pot for a while. I guess it was time to plant it out. I'm hoping the bee swarm ends up leaving or else we're gonna have to spray some insecticide on them. And wow I love that miracle fruit tree of yours, it looks different than mine besides being about 5 times larger(damn my plants are slow), it also has much larger rounder leaves. The ones I'm growing has very narrow pomegranate like leaves. I like the setup you have for the dragonfruit, nice and neat.

Nice lychee Eldys, Have you had any fruits yet?

• eldys
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Wow Jay, your collection looks fantastic - pretty soon you'll be covered in fruit juice! Your G. brasiliensis certainly looks better than mine, which was snapped in half at the graft line when it arrived last year - recovery has been slow.

Eggo, my lychee hasn't fruited yet, and I suspect that has something to do with the warm winter we had this year - I haven't really seen any blooming lychees in my neighborhood. Still, I'll probably try inducing bloom next year. One of my rambutans bloomed last year, which is exciting; it seems they are more regular bearers than lychees.

• ohiojay
    17 years ago

You had a grafted G. brasiliensis? Where'd you get that!? Mine is from seed I got from Bryan at Montoso G. I have a feeling I'll be dead and buried before any of the Garcinia's do anything!

• red_sea_me
    17 years ago

Very nice pictures all.

Eldy, for 2-years old, your lychee is huge.

Jay, love the cards.

Eggo, dont zap the bees, think of all the fruit you'll get, without having to dress in bee garb and using your pollen brush. Nice recovery on the NDM mango btw.

• ohiojay
    17 years ago

Not too nice of a recovery. The blooms and any small fruit that was just developing turned black. So I pruned them all off and can only hope the tree sends out another set of blooms. Guess I should be thankful that only the blooms was the extent of the damage.

I've notice the the air-layered lychee branches are very very weak. I've got a fan hitting it and have taken to spraying it with water to periodically weight the branches. Will keep fans on the plants from now on. I'm sure I'll hear about the future electric bill soon!

• Eggo
    17 years ago

Eldys, that's a large two year old lychee planting!!!

Red, I don't really want to zap them but I can't imagine paying a hundred or so to remove a swarm of bees when a two dollar spray bottle is just as effective. No, beekeepers don't remove them for free and its for good reasons, you never know if their Africanized, you can't really be assured that they will stay, etc. Anyways, I don't think the yard needs anymore bees. There's already a hive nesting somewhere in the structure of the attic. Yikes, I know. We're working on trying to find a way to remove them. Oh, its gonna be expensive.

• ohiojay
    17 years ago

Eggo...a small request. If you attempt the removal yourself, please get some video of this...remember me if you win the $10K on AFV!

Hey Stress...how about a few pics of your dragon fruit? I want to see how the branches are behaving.

• Eggo
    17 years ago

hehe. Jay. The thought of me removing a hive from the attic of the house would seem like a great comedy in the making but I'm gonna have to pass on it. Sorry AFV.

Stress, come on now where's those pictures!!!