SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cassiet_gw

UPDATE: Cassie's May Check in for 2005 Swap

cassiet
19 years ago

Hey Gang,

Please post here when items mailed and received.

Cassie

Comments (41)

• RainbowLake
    18 years ago

It's May, it's May, the lovely month of May

Where is everyone else?

I finally got my lawn mower out of the shop after 3 weeks. Boy will it be fun moving all this high grass!

• Boomer _Lady
    18 years ago

I'm here!

Rainbow,
    Did you get your mowing done before it rained? I'm sure enjoying seeing some of that wet stuff. Just wish we would get lots more. My ground is cracking here.

• Related Discussions

Central Ohio Plant Swap/Potluck- Sat. May 21, 2005

Q

Comments (100)
    Hi Gina...it's NOT in bad taste to see if folks will be bringing certain plants they are looking for. It certainly isn't a secret. I think folks are anxious for people to get things they are looking for at a swap. In fact, some folks set up trades via email beforehand that are separate from the group swap - and put those plants in their cars before the actual big swap begins. (I think Hostalavista and Michigan Betty do that with certain hostas since they are both collectors) I will be bringing some pots of hardy crainsbill geraniums to the swap. Time (spring) will tell me which ones...later on. In fact, I am hoping someone has Achillea Taygeta. I would LOVE a division of that plant. Sounds like there will be quite a few folks bringing their left over winter sown plants for swapping!! Fun! Think sunshine!.......Beverly
    ...See More

UPDATE: Cassie's February Check In for 2005 Secret Pal

Q

Comments (79)
    Debi and Debbie, I have planted seeds outdoors also. I got behind in the winter sowing in containers so I figured I would just try direct sowing on some of them and see how they do. I have noticed larkspur and love in a mist coming up from last seasons seeds so hopefully some of these I am putting out will take off too. My daffodils are starting to open up all over so it is starting to look like spring here. Also the Bradford pear tree is budding out. Of course Oklahoma has a lot of last minute freezes so I am hoping that the cold doesn't get everything. I plan to finish off the last of the winter sowing I was going to do and then I guess I will start planting seeds indoors on window seals. I really do like starting the little plants myself. I know that it doesn't really have a lot to do with me, but I feel just like a proud parent whenever my seedlings turn into plants and bloom.
    ...See More

UPDATE: 2nd thread for Check-In Cassie's Valentine Swap

Q

Comments (100)
    Brittneysgran, someone needs to put you out of your misery. LOL I guess it was only fair, though, since you were the first to declare that you had figured it out. I got a kick out of seeing you at least momentarily baffled. Who was your Pal? Was it A. MudPlayingFamilysMom in SC? B. Dianna? C. MudPlayingMomsFamily? The correct answer is: All of the above! MudPlayingFamilysMom IS Dianna. Yes, I packed and mailed your box. Boxes sent by me are often easily recognizable by the (um, let's just call it creative) packaging methods I use which enable me to pack a heck-of-a-lot-of-stuff into a single container and yet have extremely fragile items and even potted plants arrive safely. To say it bluntly, I probably send the ugliest packages of anyone. ;o) Part two of the answer is that your Valentine gifts weren't chosen by me alone. The kids get into the act of shopping, choosing gifts, sometimes making something, & sharing. We had a blast making packages for people this year. So, it was from Mud..Mom's Family, as well! Shirley, I hope that you enjoy the contents for years to come and look forward to the day that we hear that those hoyas have intertwined. Won't that be so cool?! My screen name is so loooong to type. Just call me Mud...Mom or Dianna.
    ...See More

NEW: Cassie's Easter Swap 2005

Q

Comments (20)
    Hey guys I guess this is not a go. I think I have enough people however I have only received 4 people's information and I have posted 2 times for info to be emailed to me. Treesa, I received your package. I'm not real sure why you sent it to me however I am mailing it back to you since this is a no go otherwise I would've just mailed it on to your pal. Smile Cassie
    ...See More
  • dsterzik
    18 years ago

Hi Everyone! I'm here! Finally got some warm weather, so I worked in the greenhouse all afternoon! Loved it! Plants are coming along good..Hope everybody else had a good day!
    Debi

• grannymarsh
    18 years ago

It looks like we've all been outside enjoying the nice weather. Today I worked at Habitat for Humanity garden and then in my own. We could use a nice warm rain (NOT SNOW), that would really get things going.

• RainbowLake
    18 years ago

Debbie, no rain here, we got about 3 sprinkles and that was it. It sure has been a dry spring.
    Granny I think you hit it the nail on the head. We are all out doing our spring chores. I didn't know Habitat for Humanity had a garden, I thought they only built houses. Is it a fund raiser?
    So what is blooming in everyone's gardens? My condolenses to the snow bound people. It must be really hard waiting so long for your flowers to start blooming.

HAPPY MOTHERS DAY TO EVERYONE

• grannymarsh
    18 years ago

It is a flower border at the Habitat office. I needed to acquire some hours for Master Gardener re-cert. BUT, Habitat has a workshop for the new owners re: lawn/yard care. If one has never had a yard, then 'how to do it' becomes another learning process. I was asked if I would do that workshop, but IMHO, lawn is green and you mow it. (or dig it up to plant flowers!) LOL.
    We had good, gentle rain last night. I swear that the hostas grew 4 inches over night. Okay, maybe not, but I know that I don't have to put my cheater glasses on to see the eyes today.

• Boomer _Lady
    18 years ago

I receieved another wonderful package & card from my secret pal today.

She sent me a beautiful set of pots, sitting on a matching drainage tray. The purple iris on each pot is gorgeous!
    A cute little basket with pretty floral shaped soaps nestled inside.
    A sweet angel to hang on the edge of a flower pot.
    A pretty wall plaque featuring a tea cup full of flowers.
    A great spring bulb book. This will come in handy to plan for the bulbs to buy this fall.
    Last but not least yummy for the tummy stuff. Mints, flavored coffee & tea.

Thanks pal. You turned an otherwise normal day into a special one.

• Boomer _Lady
    18 years ago

Happy Mother's Day to all you moms out there!

• cassiet
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hey guys gullible still can't get on gw and ask me to post this to her pal

Please accept my apology for not responding to you right away,
    Secret Pal. ItÂs finals season at extension school and IÂve
    been studying late after work and then nodding off. Your box did
    arrive earlier this week, thank you so much! Secret Pal, I
    feel like itÂs an early birthday! Real cute china cat  it went
    right up onto the shelf next to the Easter bunny lady, where it
    can smile down with that knowing kitty smile. Garden gloves in
    bright, flowery yellow, my favorite color, makes me happy to
    wear them. The daisy wind sock will go up high where it can
    catch the sea breeze but the neighborhood kids canÂt reach it :-(
    maybe from the top floor balcony. And a teapot! I love the
    teapot! I have never seen a teapot shaped like a bistro
    restaurant before, and have already made tea with the tea bags that came
    in it: Earl Grey, hot. The only thing lacking was the bald guy
    with the spaceship ;-) But are you going to make me guess
    what kind of iris you sent? TheyÂre in a pot for now. (The yellow
    LA iris you sent earlier are planted right in the middle of the
    sun bed. They seem to be enjoying the norÂeaster.) Okay. The
    leaves are broader than the LA, but the rhizomes are more
    petite than a typical German, soÂhmm, maybe you should help out
    here. Meanwhile, I am going to drink more tea. Thank you for such
    a lovely and generous package. gullible

• the_loam_ranger
    18 years ago

Hell-O-o?!?!...To quote the kitty on the "Tidy Cat" commercial (the one with the lampshade on his head at the end of the spot): "Where'd everybody go?"

Love to read the posts to see what everybody has received. I should be able to send off a parcel to my SP in a few days....I'll be sure to let y'all know when it actually happens.

Best to all,
    Cheryl

• the_loam_ranger
    18 years ago

Okay........y'all are startin' to freak me out!!!!!

I'm finding it hard to believe that NO ONE (except me) has posted anything here since last Sunday!?!?!?!?! I keep checking back, expecting to see a post from someone, but NOTHING!!!

I'm starting to believe I've been unknowingly cast in a really weird episode of "Twilight Zone"...

Rainbow?...Debi?...Debbie SW?...Cassie?...Granny?......

Someone?...ANYONE?...A-A-A-H-H-H!!!!

• cassiet
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Loam,
    I have been gone all week to a supervisors conference so I haven't been here to check in. I have been planting away over the past weekend. Didn't get to do anything this week and hopefully will get to plant a LITTLE this weekend however it's supposed to rain all weekend. Going to put out some tomato plants if I can... what's everyone else doing?

Cassie

• RainbowLake
    18 years ago

Hi everyone,

My husband had to go to Baton Rouge on some business so we made it a little vacation and I went along. We went thru Tyler Texas (The Rose Captial of the US). They have a georgeous rose garden with over 700 different varieties of roses along with some other little gardens, (Shade, meditation and idea are some of them) Then we toured old plantation houses. Quite a nice vacation.
    I came back home to have all my roses in bloom. Everything is georgeous here too. We do have a tornado warning out right now and they sky to the north is pretty dark but I live in a little valley so I think I am pretty safe.

How is everyone else doing?

• grannymarsh
    18 years ago

I've been sitting with Grandkids for almost a week. At their home not mine. Great fun-I'm exhausted. LOL

• RainbowLake
    18 years ago

We don't seem to be a very lively group in here, do we?

All of my roses are blooming and the peonies also. Bearded Iris are about thru but the siberians are taking over and it looks like the lilies might start any day now. I am on my way out now to mulch, mulch, mulch

Still haven't heard from my secret pal for April.

• dsterzik
    18 years ago

Hello Everybody! I'm sorry I have'nt been on much..My son feel and broke his knee cap had surgery 5 weeks ago, alot of therapy & things going on. Then, we all got flu bug, that just bounced back & forth..So, I am falling behind this month. I have'nt forgotton tho, and will be back on the ball..Package will be going out tomorrow.. Hugs, all..
    Debi

• cassiet
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Rainbow,
    I didn't know you still hadn't gotten your package for last month. Your pal said they had mailed this. I will check again and inquire further. I will get you out something for last month. I'm glad you posted so I would know that it still hadn't arrived. I hadn't checked back to last month to see if you had posted after your person said they mailed.

Cassie

• MarilynInNC
    18 years ago

Hi

I just received a package from my pal. She sent Burt's Bees... Almond Milk hand creme, Beeswax and Banana hand creme, Lemon Butter Cuticle Cream, Hand Salve and the cutest cotton gloves with bees on them. The cream is totally awesome and I am so hooked. Not only do they smell great ... they are actually the best cream I ever used. I also received a box of Hershey's Pot of Gold chocolates, some clematis seeds :) and a nice card. Thank you so much Secret Pal ... I loved the package and you made my day !

Marilyn

• MarilynInNC
    18 years ago

Hi Everyone ....

I swear I wonder where my head is at times ..lol. I forgot to mention that I also received Bath and Body Works Cotton Blossom body cream ...It smells so goood ..I can't wait to try it. Thank you Pal and sorry I forgot to mention it the first time posting.

Have A Great Day Everyone !!!!

Marilyn

• RainbowLake
    18 years ago

Well, I had a stroke of luck today. On the way home from work I noticed a tree trimming truck working on some trees over at a neighbors house. The back was full of wood chips. I stopped and asked them what they did with it and they said they give it away. SO, of course I asked if I could have it. They dumped a whole big truckload of the stuff in my yard for me. YAHOO. I know what I will be doing for the next week or so.

• grannymarsh
    18 years ago

MarilynInNC: Have you ever used Burt's Bees beeswax lip balm? It's the greatest!!!!It stays on and on and on.

RainbowLake: Great find on the chippings. Don't ya just love it when opportunity knocks on your door?....

• RainbowLake
    18 years ago

Yes, I Do, Granny. I am feeling very lucky
    I have never heard of Burts Bees products. I guess I will have to check for it in the store next time I go.

• cassiet
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Rainbow,
    Have got a little something ready for you and will get out early Sat. morning. Have you gotten or heard this month yet. Please post if you have not received a package as of yet so I can get the emails out tomorrow evening to check.

Cassie

• grannymarsh
    18 years ago

I have only found 'Burts Bees" products in gift stores, etc. Bought mine in a local pharmacy's gift area. I believe I paid maybe $3.00 for it. The neat thing about beeswax is that it melts at body temperature so you just can't smear it on, like the other oily, waxy stuff. Plus it has some great ingredients in it. Rosemary extract, Peppermint oil, Vit. E and more. It really does last on my smoochers almost all day. AND, one other attraction: My DH doesn't mind kissing me when I'm wearing it. He doesn't like the feeling of parafin wax 'transfer'.

• the_loam_ranger
    18 years ago

Hi, y'all--

Just wanted to let y'all know I mailed a package out to my SP this morning...hope she likes it...

I haven't heard anything from my other SP, though, which is VERY unusual...he/she (oh, for heaven's sake..."SHE") is normally "Johnny-at-the-rathole" (as my mom says) at the first of every month...I'm concerned that she's fallen ill...I sincerely hope not...my prayers include you, SP...

Well, gotta go...the weeds and fungal diseases are trying to take over....

Best to all,
    Loam (aka Cheryl)

• the_loam_ranger
    18 years ago

"Y-u-u-m-m-m, Cotton Blossom...my absolute FAVORITE!!!

I get a set of bath stuff every Christmas from my baby sister...unfortunately, the honey-bees around here also like it and buzz me when I'm outside, so I don't use it every day--only when I'm going out for the evening and stuff like that. But the flip side of that is that it lasts all year...

My second-favorite is "Moonlight Path"...

I LOVE getting bath stuff since it's something I don't normally buy for myself...

Love y'all,
    Cheryl

• dsterzik
    18 years ago

Hi Everybody! How is everybody today? We had a beautiful day here, I worked in the greenhouse all afternoon. Tomorrow is suppose to be nice too, then thunderstorms coming for tomorrow night and Sunday. So, hoping to get a early start tomorrow. Have alot of transplanting to do..How's your flowers coming!
    Debi ;-)

• RainbowLake
    18 years ago

Cassie
    I haven't heard from my secret pal since Easter when she sent the March package.I was wondering if she is still part of the round robin?
    Granny I will keep my eye out for Burts Bees. It sounds great.

It has turned hot hot hot here. I think someone said that it may have hit 100 today. I guess summer is here now.

Debbie, what has happened to you? You are usually a regular poster. Is your garden keeping you too busy?

• the_loam_ranger
    18 years ago

Hi, y'all!!

I received a package from my Secret Pal late yesterday afternoon (yippee!!). As always, I dropped what I was doing to open it....

And--once again--my pal out-did herself! I'm now the proud owner of the following plant starts:

--a Cranesbill 'Striatum'
    --a Liatris
    --two Shasta Daisies, 'Becky' and C.m. 'Aglaia'
    --two Tradescantias, 'Sunny Days' and 'Lilac Frost'
    --THREE Daylilies, 'Leo', 'Golden Angel' and 'Raspberry Pixie'
    --Several Chionodoxa, aka "Glory-of-the-Snow"

Pal, if all of these starts are from your garden, it must be absolutely SPECTACULAR!

I've been meaning to order some of the Liatris and the Cranesbill to put in my (recently started and still developing) bulb bed. Guess I can cross both of them off my list (or...I COULD still buy more *grin*).

Now my only problem is deciding where to put all these starts...such a GOOD problem to have, tee-hee....

Oh, and BTW, pal, thanks for sending the perch for the birdhouse you sent me last month. Even though I put it where it's supposed to go on the birdhouse, to be honest, I never missed it...guess I need to pay attention more often, huh?

And one other note to my pal: Although I haven't "heard from" the Asiatic lily bulbs, yet, the caladium bulbs you sent to me are starting to sprout!!!

Thanks so much, pal, for the great package! I so look forward to getting your packages every month to see what kind of thoughtful gifts you've sent...

Well, gotta go find good homes for my new little treasures...

Warmest regards to all,
    Cheryl

• becksterca
    18 years ago

I sent my package to my secret pal today.
    Becky

• dsterzik
    18 years ago

Hi Everybody! I recieved my package from my Secret Pal today! I started crying! She sent me the most "Beautiful" doilies I have ever seen in my life. She made them, I believe their what you call tatting! They are unbelieveable, a big one & a smaller one, must of taken many, many hours of work..the larger one is called "Fishermans net" and the smaller one is a pattern from a century-old style found in Ireland. Also, their was a "Beautiful" bookmark, with tatting on it for my Bible. I "Love" it! And, also there is three satin potpourri bags, that also have a little tatted doily on front and trimmed in tatting..one red, one white & one blue
    for my dresser drawers, my clothes are going to smell so nice! I "love" my Secret Pal! Wish I could give her a "Big" Hug! She always makes me feel so "Special"! I Love her letters too, look forward to hearing from her every month! Thank You so much Secret Pal! You are very Special!
    Debi ;-)

• grannymarsh
    18 years ago

Many, many hugs and smoochies to my Secret Pal. As always, she sent a box crammed full of goodies. I was out mowing our yard when I saw the mail lady pulling OUT of the driveway (how did she sneak in???) Wellll, put that puppy in overdrive and let's go see what she brought !!!
    CHOCOLATE,( yes, I am yelling) CHOCOLATE, and boy did I need a fix of that !!! A huge bar of smooth & creamy lip-smacking good stuff.
    A pair of hand pruners that are going to live in my truck 'cause one never knows when an 'occasion' will present itself. Too many times I have wished that I'd thought to put mine in while on a road trip. They will join the zip baggies that I do carry. A set of spouts to fit on a gallon jug. I used to have a set of these and wore them right out. Handy little items, as most directions say " mix X amount in a gallon."
    A pair of apple green and white candles, and of course they are apple scented. Very pretty.
    A damask patterned pillow cover in a luscious, creamy white. Very rich looking. Thank you.
    She also sent a set of green checkered kitchen towels. They will certainly freshen up my kitchen.
    And.........
    the clincher -drum roll...- a THIRD bird wind chime. This one is a Bluebird. Very nicely done and very much appreciated.

Thank you Secret Pal for your generous gifts.

Marsha

• Boomer _Lady
    18 years ago

Rainbow,
    I'm here. Glad to know I was missed 'cuz I sure missed checking in. I would hate to miss something! LOL

I had a flare up of the rhuematoid arthritis which caused me to take some time off the computer, it's hard to type when your fingers are swollen & sore. :(
    I also had to take time off of gardening. Luckily I have a great helper who fills in for me during those times. I had a shipment of plants come in about the same time the RA flared up so he planted them all for me.

I really appreciated the help but I'm glad to be back to "normal" & doing my gardening by myself.

Hope everyone is enjoying their garden time before things heat up too much.

• cassiet
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Rainbow,
    Your pal has assured me she is fine that she has now mailed a package to you and you should get it before the end of the month. Please let me know if you get it. Have you received the package I sent on Sat yet. I don't see anything posted? This is for last month of you not getting a package

Cassie

• RainbowLake
    18 years ago

Hi Cassie,
    Still no package, I will post as soon as it shows up. Thanks for filling in for my secret pal.

We got a good rain this morning, which we badly needed and the weather has cooled off a little. I spent the afternoon dead heading and trimming.

Debbie, I am sorry to hear that you haven't been feeling well. Glad that you are back in the fold.

• dsterzik
    18 years ago

Hello Everybody! Hope everybody had a super day! And have a safe & fun week-end..
    Debi ;-)

• RainbowLake
    18 years ago

I got a package today. It had a very neat candle set. It is a plastic box (like one that holds spools of sewing thread) but it is full of all colors of candles. Very nice. Also a pretty white ceramic pictures frame with hummingbirds on it. I am redoing one of my bedrooms in yellow, green and white and the frame will look very nice in it. I really like both the gifts. Thank you so much secret pal!

• bettyboops
    18 years ago

I will mail on Tuesday to my pal. I haven't gotten mine yet. My pal must be as busy or absent minded as I am. It's not like I didn't know May was a month and I should get a suprise in the mail to my pal.
    Hope everyone has a great Memorial Day and remember all those men and women that have entitaled us to a holiday.
    Betty

• cassiet
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Betty your pal has mailed... so it's on the way!!! Also pal for Marilyn in NC she will be gone from June 2nd-10 so if you have not mailed her package will you please wait until after this time to mail. Happy Memorial Day to everyone!!!

Cassie

• RainbowLake
    18 years ago

I forgot to mention that my secret pal also sent me an envelope filled with seeds. They are for plants that I do not have and I am looking forward to trying them. Thanks secret pal

• becksterca
    18 years ago

I received a great box from my secret pal over the weekend.
    My pal sent me an old fashioned herb garden! A box stuffed full of plants! Her timing was perfect. The weather around here finally warmed up to the point that I could start my veggie garden. My new herb garden were the first plants to go in the ground! Let's see how many I can remember: Motherswort, Sage, Feverfew, Comfrey, tarragon, White Siberian, Valerian(? can't remember if that was there or not)and something that my kitties would like. There were 9 or 10 herbs all together.
    Thanks Pal.....perfect gift!
    Becky