SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sprouts_honor

Zone 5ers - have you germinated yet?

sprouts_honor
14 years ago

I was wondering if zone 5 tomato growers have started seeds yet. Many years ago I made the mistake of starting too early. With the past few springs being so cold, IÂve pushed back my starting date to early April. My space is limited so only a few late season varieties (i.e. Kellogg's Breakfast) are started earlier and kept indoors. Most mid to early season varieties with their first set of true leaves are set outside in plastic jugs (think winter sowing) when temps are in the mid 40s at night (usually mid April). This gives me more room for peppers and tropicals in the sunroom .And I donÂt have to bother hardening them off. ItÂs getting to be that time of year when I need to determine how many Âmaters to start. But with a foot of unmelted snow still on the ground and weathermen forecasting lower than normal temperatures, IÂm wondering if I should hold off. Last frost date for Cleveland is the first week of May, but I usually donÂt plant until mid to late May so the soil is nice and warm. What do yÂall think?

Thanks.

Jennifer

Comments (32)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting