SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hmhausman

Yard Update 2/6/10

hmhausman
14 years ago

It was a really nice day here today. Had a chance to take a few shots of some of the goings on in the yard.

I put a piece of what was called Pitaya way back when(approx. 1993), which is now more commonly called dragon fruit, into a silk oak tree and it has taken off growing to the top of the tree and then back down. It flowers prolifically (like 100 blooms at a time) but has only set two fruits ever. Now that I am growing more dragon fruit around the yard, I am hoping for better cross pollination. I have also put pieces of other cultivars in this tree but they are relative late comers and have not bloomed as of yet.

This is a loquat, fruiting for the first time. The cultivar is "Christmas."

Graham mango....not sure if you can see them, but there are hundreds of little mangoes setting.

Pickering mango just starting to bloom

Tebow mango (Edward x Kent)

Angie mango

Martinez mango which I am pretty sure is nothing more than a Rosigold mango. There are about 25 larger fruits and there are new blooms that are just beginning to set more fruit now.

Hatcher mango going into bloom for the first time

New flush with blooms on Mauritius Lychee

Early Large Red Lychee showing blooms

Early Large red Lyche new flush with blooms

Edward mango

Malay apple, happy to report new leaf growth from the terminal buds from most of the branches.....so no limb die back from the cold.

Canistel (variety "Bruce") fruiting heavier this year than ever before.

Macadamia "Dana White" in bloom

Alano sapodilla, fruiting heavily

"Zill Black" Surinam Cherry. Not sure if they show up,but the tree has literally thousands of blooms, just about to open.

Haseya Sapodilla

Alphonso mango, blooming for second year....no fruit held last year.

Nothing like a week of standing water to get jaboticabas to bloom. After a dry period they will flower immediately after a flood.

Seedling Rollinia that miraculously kept most of its foliage through the freeze, only loosing some branch tips.

Spirit of 76 mango going into bloom

Ice Cream mango, just beginning to push bloom

Maha Chanook setting a very good crop of young mangoes

Julie mango in various stages of bloom and early fruit set. I am seeing quite a few more small fruits setting this year. When Lycheeluva was here, he was wandering around the yard finding blooms on my lychee trees and young fruits on this tree. He said that "he was taking credit for this" whenver he pointed out something flowering or fruiting. I gladly give him credit for whatever flowering/fruiting prayer he had been offering prior to his arrival at my place. I know he had been very worried about there being no lychees this year. Thankfully, it looks like we'll have a good crop.

Looking from the corner of my back patio towards the north east. Remnants of my Emperor Lychee now being used as a trellis for a dragon fruit is in the foreground. Main section of my mango grove is behind.

Looking SE from the same point, old avocado tree, now dead used for dragon fruit trellis (Physical Graffiti). Behind is a See Chompoo Longan that was destroyed by Hurricane Wilma. It broke off at the ground and now what you see are in essence root suckers that grow to a point, but then are broken off with the slightest wind because of their lack of a real root system.

Bengal Lychee

Garcinia...probably intermedia if I read the pictures that Ohio Jay posted correctly...I bought it as Rheedia arristata...which it is apprently not

Garcinia fruit

Green sapote from Pine Island

That's all folks!

Comments (30)