SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gardenguy_

Papaya newbie...some questions

gardenguy_
18 years ago

I picked up a papaya plant this past May. It was maybe 4 inches tall when I got it. Now it's 16 inches tall. I have it in a large pot outside and it took off like crazy. I have it in Miracle grow soil, and water it with warm water. Since it's been so hot lately, I've been able to use the hose since when I first turn it on, the water is quite warm coming out at first. Here are my questions. Hopefully some experienced growers can help.

1. I take it, the papaya loves full sun, all day, correct?

2. What type of fertilizer and how much? Is the fertilizer that's in the miracle grow soil enough for a while?

3. Of course, living in zone 6b, I'll have to bring the pot in for the winter. Should I do the acclimating thing before bringing it in?

4. At this point, I'm not concerned about getting fruit. It would be a bonus tho. I just want it to survive the indoors over the winter. Any tips for overwintering it in the house?

5. I know that papaya plants are sensitive to having their roots handled during repotting. How big of a pot should I have this plant in so that I can minimize this?

6. Are papayas like bananas in the sense that once they fruit, they die off or do they just keep growing?

Here is a picture of my small papaya tree. I guess there is really no way to tell if this plant is male, female or self pollinating?

Here is my papaya plant.

{{gwi:1310860}}

{{gwi:1310861}}

Comments (16)