SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
maspirasjr

Browneopsis ucayalina from Ecuador

maspirasjr
17 years ago

Hello all, check out my seedling of Browneopsis ucayalina. Is anyone else growing this? The specimen is related to Brownea, although in this case, the main attraction is the newly emergent foliage rather than the blooms. The young pinnate leaves are a deep magenta with lime green blotches, and they droop like hankerchiefs. Eventually, the mature leaf turns a solid deep green. The plant is native to rainforest areas of Ecuador, Colombia and Peru:

{{gwi:1309341}}

Comments (11)

• fouquieria
    17 years ago

Congratulations Marcelo!

That's quite an achievement.

Peter sent me a pic in e-mail.

Is this the only species in the genus?

I'm impressed.

-Ron-

• Heathen1
    17 years ago

Oh MAN! Where'd ya get it? That's so cool! I want one! Sigh.... this forum gives me the "want's some" so much!

• JerryatTreeZoo
    17 years ago

I saw one at the Tropical Flowering Tree Society's Mother's Day Sale at Fairchild's over the weekend. It was about 14"-16" tall and they only wanted $300 for it. Gulp! Marcello, where did you get yours? I understand that the seller won't disclose his seed source.

Jerry

• maspirasjr
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks, Ron. I believe it is a monogeneric plant.

Heathen and Jerry, here's the site where I got my seeds from. Feel free to contact Jim West for seeds-he's great to deal with:

http://www.ecuadorexplorer.com/guaycuyacu/fruits_1.html

IMHO, $300.00 for this plant is utterly ridiculous, but I'm not sure if charging an inflated price is any worse than not willing to disclose a seed source. I have no qualms about sharing seed sources (and I can bet Jim West was also the seed source for this fellow). My philosophy is that if more people can avail of the rarer species, so much the better. Growing botanical rarities should be a truly democratic exercise, not the prerogative of a select few :-) !

Marcelo

• joel_morningstar
    17 years ago

Hey guys, if you haven't run out to dish out the $300 yet...try Pacific Tropical Gardens www.PcTGrardens.com Browneopsis ucayalina in a 10"pot is only $45 plus freight (from Hawaii).
    Thought you might be interested...
    Joel

• macawbirdbreeder
    16 years ago

ok guys this just went to the top of my
    must have plants. I have a spot on the shelf between
    my maniltoa and amherstia just for this plant. Now how
    do I get one ? thanks in advance phil hamilton texas

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    16 years ago

That is really freaky. Love that coloring.

• popper1
    16 years ago

I have several (actually, more then several) of these trees. They are amazing.

• macawbirdbreeder
    16 years ago

WOULD YOU CONSIDER SELLING ME ONE OF YOUR PRIZED
    POSESSIONS ? OR AT LEAST SEND ME AN EMAIL TELLING
    ME HOW I COULD OWN ONE OF THESE.

• larry_s_fla
    16 years ago

Scott Cohen is selling 6 inchers for $100 each at the Fairchild Ramble this weekend. He's got 3 or 4 left.

• cixel
    16 years ago

try to grow it from seed. the prices you see at fairchild are extremely inflated.
    whats a shame is that a huge percentage of people selling rare plants there won't keep them alive.
    i walked out of there with a airlayered hak ip lychee.