SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sammy_gw

'tomato soils harbor pathogens that make rose root galls'

sammy zone 7 Tulsa
13 years ago

"tomato soils harbor pathogens that make rose root galls"

This quote comes from a well respected rosarian who posted on the Roses Forum. Her name is Ann, and the forum title is Fredrick Mistral.

Two years ago I began growing tomatoes in very large pots. Last year I left half of the soil, and filled up the pots with new soil. This year I have begun dumping out all the soil and replacing it. I have 20 large pots (half whiskey barrels or maybe about 16" pots) that I have been dumping where I intend to plant about 20 new roses in my rose garden.

Today is my first day of spring break, and my new roses will arrive on about Wednesday. I really need to know what anyone knows about two year old used tomato soils.

It never never occurred to me that my tomato soil would contaminate my rose bushes. I had only been concerned about putting in additional amendments, but was not aware of a pathogen that could destroy my roses.

I am building beds, and replacing older roses. I will mix the soil with compost and top soil, but I really need some credible information about pathogens and contamination.

I have 20 tomato pots, and will have about 200 antique roses in the ground. Any type of spray is out of the question.

Thanks for any information you can give me. I made my subject long so it would not annoy those who did not have information.

Sammy

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County