SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ladylotus_gw

Grocery Stores

ladylotus
16 years ago

Greetings All,

I am just getting started with tropical fruits. I have 11 dwarf citrus trees which I've had for 17 years. They were the first plants I ever purchased online. ha ha. I've harvested some pretty good lemons from my Meyers Lemon. ;) But the variety of orange plants are a bit tart and takes some getting used to eating.

My question to all of you is this. I want to start out small allowing me to experiment without spending a fortune. I just built a greenhouse this Fall and am fine tuning it...that's why I say experiment. I see that there are plants that I could purchase at the grocery store and grow them from seed or other venues.

1. Carambola, Starfruit - It looks like this one will grow pretty quickly from seed, from reading through all your posts.

2. Pineapple, I remember as a teenager cutting the tops of a pineapple off and getting a couple of them rooted. However, I found out boys were interesting too and I lost interest in my pineapple plants. ha ha.

Are there others that I could grow from the grocery store? I love challenges and am more curious than George (the monkey). This would be a great way for me to get started and allow me to do some tweaking of my greenhouse temps/humidity/sun/shade etc. without losing very expensive plants until I get things figured out.

Any ideas?

p.s. Thanks Stressbaby for leading me to this forum group. :) I appreciate that...I've been reading the wealth of information written here and learning a lot.

Thanks!

Tj

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting