SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
big_orange_vol

Thousands of free plants

Big_Orange_Vol
18 years ago

Ok since nobody has posted on my other thread, how about this one?

We're only 24 days away from the Fall Swap.

I'll be bringing some Musa Bananas, tons of Datura seeds, buckets full of yellow Cannas and red Canas, assorted groundcovers, seeds of all kinds, Dalillies, wads of Liriope if anyone is interested, Crinium if I can dig it up plus anything else I can think of that might be ready to split.

Let's see what you guys are bringing!!!

If you've never made it to the Middle Tennessee Plant Swap, how about the visual of 50-100 gardeners with tons of plants to swap of all kinds of varieties AND IT'S FREE!!! You get to hang out with some of the nicest folks in the State and eat until you pop. The location and scenery is wonderful, the weather should be great, you can camp, you can canoe down the buffalo, UT has an open date that weekend and you get FREE PLANTS!!!! What more can you ask for?

If you need more info then email me at jtoothmanindadj@omcast.net and I'll be more than happy to answer all questions or refer you to Jan on the ones that I can't. Come spend the day with us and have the time of your life!

Jeff

Comments (32)

• zjones
    18 years ago

Jeff-
    Looks like I will make it this year - last fall was my first swap and I really enjoyed it! This is the list of plants I can bring (plus maybe a few more)...I'm open to any "pre-trade" agreements if anyone's interested, especially for tetraploid daylilies (I have a list of wants, too, so email me)...
    Campanula Blue Clips
    Caryopteris Worcester Gold
    Coreopsis Early Sunrise
    Digitalis Ambigua (yellow perennial type)
    Digitalis Mertonensis (pink perennial type)
    Echinacea White Swan
    Golden Creeping Jenny
    Helenium Moorheim Beauty
    Hemerocallis:
    Autumn Red
    Celebrity Elite
    EmporerÂs Butterfly
    Happy Returns
    LeprechaunÂs Wealth
    Little Business
    Little Wine Cup
    Royal Palace Prince
    Hosta:
    Patriot
    Stiletto
    Golden Tiara
    Hydrangeas:
    (all new starts Âshould be overwintered this year)
    Alpenglow
    All Summer Beauty
    Endless Summer

Indian Holly Fern
    Kniphofia Uvaria Hybrid
    Oakleaf hydrangea
    Ostrich Fern
    Sedums:
    various cuttings and starts (Neon, Matrona, Sieboldii, evergreen, cauticola, John Creech, Vera Jamison, Bertram Anderson, oreganum..)

Shasta Daisy Becky and Silver Spoons
    Stokesia Mary Gregory

See you all there!
    Zack

• Big_Orange_Vol
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Wow Zack, nice list!!! Unless I counted incorrectly that's about 38 different plants. How could anyone resist making the effort to come and pick up good stuff like that? You can't get that at the box stores!

Without Lavonne being with me it's gonna be fairly difficult to actually get any swapping done so most of my stuff will probably just be give-aways.

• Related Discussions

HAVE: Spider plants and mother of thousands

Q

Comments (4)
    would like to trade for Mother of Thousands. My Exchange List is not showing up on my Member Page since the Link actually goes to someone else's information! I am trying to address it w/ Gardenweb. Here's what I have: Philo - four kinds Pothos - reg and varig Dieffenbachia - huge and miniature Spath hens-n-chicks succulents - three kinds Schefflera Coleus - three very cool color mixes Jade many others I can't recall right now. LMK if you are interested. :)
    ...See More

What to do with plantlets on my 'Mother of Thousands' plant?

Q

Comments (3)
    Toss them, they will make more, they will root where ever they land, so keep them away from the rugs, and other plants, they acutally seem to walk away and find a spot to grow, they can live in rather cold weather, I don't think anything can kill them. Pot them up and take them to schools, hospitals, nursing homes, senior centers, garden clubs, it's a wonder ful way to introduce people to succulents the new beginner can't kill them. Great for kids. I have flowered mine, they have a ring of red flowers hanging down. They are actually a very pretty plant and even the leaves are interesting when thet turn gray and with dark blotches. Norma
    ...See More

Mother of Thousands Plant Clipping Wanted

Q

Comments (2)
    Norma, My address is 156 Tremont St. Malden, MA 02148 Thanks very much - this is so kind of you!! Happy Holidays (Merry Christmas) Helen
    ...See More

HAVE: Chandelier Plant, Mother of Thousands (Bryophyllum delagoe

Q

Comments (0)
    Have Chandelier Plant, Mother of Thousands (Bryophyllum delagoense plants for trade. Please email me.
    ...See More
  • Amazindirt (7a TN)
    18 years ago

Poor Jeff, feeling ignored. ;-)

Don't worry, Jeff! The swap'll be a big success! And I'm saving you hardy hibiscus and whatever else you want from my list. In fact, I'll publicly state -- I think EVERYONE at the swap should save choice plants for Jeff, to thank him for doing all this hard work!

• Jan_Hobbs
    18 years ago

Where, oh, where has everyone gone?
    Oh, where, oh, where can they be?
    Are you coming to the swap
    In Oct this year,
    Oh, where, oh where have YOU gone???

Come on people, where are you?
    Jeff is beating his brain out trying to get this swap going, let's give him some help!

If you don't chime in, OR show up at the swap you just MIGHT get nominated for the swap secretary in Jeff's place. :) or is it :(

Jan

• SmokyMist
    18 years ago

Zack, what an awesome list. Sending you an email !! Just been incredibly busy with the business Jeff and Jan, havn't had time to post or breath much even.

Cheryl

• Big_Orange_Vol
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks Doc but I don't deserve that kind of attention. I'll take whatever I can get though.

Hmmmm, who could be the next secretary-in-waiting?

• rizzir
    18 years ago

I'm coming! I'll be camping, too - Saturday for sure, Friday if anyone else will join me! Let me know!

-Regina

• SmokyMist
    18 years ago

We've camped out the past 4 years at the swap, on both nights Regina, you'll love it.

Cheryl

• april_h_o April Moore
    18 years ago

I plan to come this time, although I haven't had a chance yet to decide what I can bring. It has been a busy summer, and I really haven't had time to participate in the forum like I had wanted, but at least a lot of my time was actually spent in the garden! I just hosted a garden tour for the Davidson County Master Gardners last weekend, but now that that is past, I am looking forward to easing into Autumn. :-)

Anyway, I should have at least a few things to share, including ladybells (Adenophora confusa), Shasta daisies, pink coreopsis, maybe some cannas (red ones and some others that are yellow with orange swirls), and probably some Coronation Gold yarrow. I probably have some seeds, too.

I'll look around tomorrow to see what else I might be able to bring. A good number of my shareable plants are first-year plants, so I should have quite a lot to share next year and the following year after that, but this year it's a little bit thin.

It will be my first time at the swap, but I am really looking forward to it. Can anyone tell me about how long it will take to get there from Madison/northeast side of Nashville?

As far as wants, if anyone out there has seeds for white four o'clocks, I will be happy to take them and also seeds for (white) Moonflower. And, of course, there are about a million other things I would like to have......:-)

Here is a link that might be useful:

• cmh35
    18 years ago

jeff:
    I am coming...I may only get to come to meet everyone.
    My dividing of my plants aren't doing to well yet. But I am still hopeful. I have an empty greenhouse that is lonely and wants plants to hold and love....
    I have some passionflower seeds, black eyed susan seeds,
    rose campion seeds, I am starting some purple heart cuttings. Also am starting some houseplant cuttings.
    Mose in the cradle, purple passion, german chocolate plant.
    I can't wait...

• Big_Orange_Vol
    Original Author
    18 years ago

April we have TONS of Datura/Moonflower seeds!

We live off of 65 & Harding and it takes us about an hour and a half. It may take close to two hours from Madison depending on how close you are to 65. You can get Mapquest directions off of Jan's site at buffalocanoeing.com.

• zjones
    18 years ago

Cheryl-
    My email address has changed - link to the new one through my page here on GW if you want to set something up...
    Zack

• cmh35
    18 years ago

Special request.
    Has anyone have any diasy crazy daisy seeds or cutting that they can bring. I just found them online and I am a daisy addicted or any other diffent daisy seeds?
    Carolyn

• Big_Orange_Vol
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Ok so that makes around 10-15 of us that are coming then right? ;-)

Since when have all the TN Forum GW'ers become so bashful?
    Let's pump it up some gang.
    Am I wrong or is this not the coolest, most enjoyable, most fun, educational and entertaining event of the year?
    Dang, if nothing else, you get to rag me out and take pot shots in person. That's gotta be worth something!

• rizzir
    18 years ago

No, what we REALLY want to do is take pictures of you so we can make you squirm later. ;-)

-Regina

• Big_Orange_Vol
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I'm going to wear a mask!

• SmokyMist
    18 years ago

LOL well then Jeff I'll have to drag out some of the pictures I've taken over the past couple of years and pretend they are from this year ! ;o)

• dennisjmccoy
    18 years ago

Here's a partial list of what I'm bringing:
    cannas, maroon leaves- orange bloom.
    brugmansia cuttings (Yellow)
    varigated yucca- "bright edges" (1), "color guard" several.
    daylilies- "chicago ruby" and unknown purple.
    spiny aloe. (tender)
    varigated St. Augustine grass. (Cuttings)
    fertilizers- timed release 13-13-13.
    acid loving plants 13-13-13 (bring your own container)
    one tropical hibiscus standard. approx 40" tall. 3yr old seedling, hot pink bloom.
    hosta's
    diffenbachia.
    lily of the nile (1)
    ginger (reliably hardy in zone 7a)

• mari5us
    18 years ago

Hi Green1,
    I'd like to trade for your lily of the nile--- what would you be looking for in return??
    Thanks,
    Marianne

• cfb123
    18 years ago

Hi Ginger1:

I'd love to trade for the ginger. Let me know.
    Claudia

• dennisjmccoy
    18 years ago

In addition to the plants listed above, I can carve a 'pup' or two off my "musella lasiocarpa" (chinese yellow banana) for the right trade. If you want to know what this banana is it can be found on pg 81 of the Plant Delights Nursery catalogue.

• Big_Orange_Vol
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Oooh, that yellow banana looks cool! I don't know if I have anything that you would want but I'd sure like to have one of those.

• Amazindirt (7a TN)
    18 years ago

Okay, here's a preliminary list. This is NOT complete. I'll post a more complete list later, maybe Monday.

seeds -- quite a few varieties, TBA

divisions, seedlings, rooted cuttings, tissue culture babies, and/or unrooted cuttings:
    Amsonia tabernaemontana
    Astrantia major 'Ruby Wedding'
    Athyrium asplenoides (Southern lady fern)
    Begonia 'Benigo'
    Begonia maybe 'Frosty'
    Begonia 'Silver Mist'
    Canna 'Tropicanna'
    Coleus -- many named varieties
    Cyperus papyrus (giant papyrus) -- maybe!
    Dieffenbachia 'Camouflage'
    Echinacea tennesseensis 'Rocky Top Hybrid'
    Gaillardia 'Arizona Sun'
    Hakonechloa 'Aureola' (Japanese grass)
    Heuchera 'Frosted Violet'
    Hibiscus 'Red Hot' (tropical variegated hibiscus) -- maybe!
    Hibiscus 'Turn of the Century' (hardy hibiscus)
    Hibiscus acetosella 'Maple Sugar' (tropical foliage hibiscus)
    Hibiscus moscheutos 'Luna Red' (hardy hibiscus) -- short
    Hibiscus moscheutos 'Luna White' (hardy hibiscus) -- short
    Hibiscus moscheutos unnamed red (hardy hibiscus) -- tall
    Hibiscus moscheutos unnamed blush pink (hardy hibiscus) -- tall
    Jasminum sambac 'Grand Duke of Tuscany'
    Mangifera indica (mango)
    Miriophyllum spp (dwarf red parrot's feather)
    Penstemon unknown hybrids
    Perovskia atriplicifolia (Russian sage)
    Philodendron 'Pink Princess'
    Platycodon 'Sentimental Blue'
    Pleioblastus pygmaeus var. distichus (dwarf bamboo)
    Polystichum acrostichoides (Christmas fern)
    Poncirus trifoliata (hardy orange)
    Pontederia cordata (pickerel weed)
    Thalia dealbata (purple Thalia)
    Wisteria frutescens 'Amethyst Falls'
    Yucca 'Bright Edge'

Remember, Jeff, you get first pick!

• Big_Orange_Vol
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Dang Doc I don't even know what 80% of that stuff is! If it's orange, you know I'm all over that.

• katiedidcottage
    18 years ago

Sorry to say that we won't be able to come to this swap. I have a few things ready, but we have had a conflict come up. I'm sure we can make it next spring to the swap, and I'll just keep what I have ready until then. I'm sure gonna miss being there!

If anyone wants anything I have, please email me and maybe we can make arrangements to trade and by meeting closer to home. I live outside of Memphis.

2 small Brugmansia (light pink blooms)

2 small Brugmansia (variegated leaves, but hasn't bloomed yet and they didn't know the color where I bought it)

4 small Bromelids (yellow amber colored "blooms" and 1 with red "blooms") (I gave away 2 large ones at the spring swap)

6 small succulent plants that are a mauve-pink color (Someone told me these were like hen & chicks)

10 zig-zag cacti rooted and growing

6 good rooted starts for another cactus I have that grows tall and branches out

2 yellow tulip poplars (about knee high)

Katie & Rich

• dennisjmccoy
    18 years ago

Happy Birthday Jeff. I'll deliver your present at the swap.

• Big_Orange_Vol
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you!!!
    I'm still 11 days away from being on the backside of 40 though. Well actually I guess I'm not. Lavonne and I both turn 46 this year. Physically I feel 66 but mentally and emotionally I'd be lucky to break 26.

• wild_rose
    18 years ago

If anyone is still considering coming to the swap, but hasn't made up your mind, please consider this a golden opportunity to load up on premium plants. Jan and Jim's campground is beautiful and the drive this time of year is too. You won't regret coming for a minute even with gas prices what they are now. The cost of a tank of gas would pay for how many plants at a nursery? You'll bring home lots more than that, and meet so many nice people, you'll be hooked and will kick yourself time and again if you have to miss one of the future swaps. Ask any of us swap veterans who have had to miss one. Look at the lists of plants others have promised to bring. I see some on amazindirt's list you'd never discover at any nursery and I am sorely tempted. You will be too. Please come!

Katie, I'm sorry you're not going to be able to make the fall swap, but I'll look forward to seeing you in the spring.

Jeff, If you hadn't just admitted it I'd have never guessed either you or Lavonne were over 40. isn't it amazing how our calendar age and mental age doesn't jive? When I look in the mirror, I see an aging fat woman, but still feel like that younger one who gulped if the size 7's were too tight! Still, I know a heck of a lot more about gardening now than I did then, and can still do a lot of digging in the dirt without collapsing, so that makes it all OK.

I'm bringing mostly "free plants". Sure I'll trade if there's something I just can't live without, but my garden has limited space, and that is now at a premium after loading up on plants at the previous swaps! I'm hoping there'll be lots of newcomers who will go home and fill up their gardens as I have, then will be able to share their divisions in years to come.

• Amazindirt (7a TN)
    18 years ago

I'm planning to do my two-table routine, as I did at the ETn swap. It seemed to work well there. I did one "take it if you want it" table, and one "arrange a trade with me first" table -- both clearly marked. I think it made things much more clear!

Incidentally, I'm bringing some interesting seeds in case anyone grows from seed. For instance, if anyone wants to try Gaura biennis, I'm bringing lots of seed. It's a locally native relative of the Gaura you see in stores -- this one makes a large shrub and is both night-blooming and sweetly scented. I'll also probably have a coupla packets of seed from Astrantia major 'Sunningdale Variegated' -- it'll be interesting to see what grows out of these!

• SmokyMist
    18 years ago

Jeff you have complained of being old since I've known you and I have yet to see that middle aged little dude you claim to be lol. Virginia you know you'll go home with some new goodies, how could you help it ? Doc..who knows, we might actually end up trading a plant and getting to know each other. That would be nice.

Cheryl

• Big_Orange_Vol
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I complain about my age because I feel old! My twelve year old niece almost beat me in a 40 this afternoon. GEEZ LOUISE!!!
    Ok, my right knee was swollen from working in the yard all day yesterday and I rammed a stick up in the bottom of my foot yesterday too but STIL....!!! My ego is irreparably mangled.
    At 17 I was less than 2 seconds (which equates into a sprinting eternity) off the World Record in the 200. Granted that was almost 30 years and 30 pounds ago but shouldn't I still have SOME speed left? My friends say that I'm "quick" now (backhanded compliment), nobody says that I'm fast anymore. They might say that they remember when I was, which is even worse!
    My mind refuses to accept that my body is falling apart and that I have no stamina. The brain is saying, "Go! What's the problem? You idiot, nobody's THAT slow.", and my legs are saying, "Stop right now before you hurt something you idiot, you're too old and too fat now'.
    Last year was most likely the last year of me being able to play league basketball too. That's another milestone that I'm going to have to accept. The war wages on between the mind, body and ego but the body is winning. So yes, I'm feeling old and depressed.

• Jan_Hobbs
    18 years ago

Jeff wait intil you look back on 60...then complain! :)

Jan

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath