SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ragtimegal

Best care for store bought plants until planting time?

ragtimegal
15 years ago

Hello!

Thanks to all who have given me advice over the past few weeks! I have learned mostly by trial and error and the good advice of everyone here. My boyfriend wanted a tomato garden as well, so for Valentine's Day I dug him out a bed, put in good compost, etc, and planted basil, parsley, and cilantro. I have more room than I thought, so I may try a few more herbs.

As for the tomatoes, I purchased a Champion tomato plant at the recommendation of our local garden center, as well as a Purple Cherokee, a cherry tomato plant (Sweet Olive), and a Yellow Pear plant. We have a few more weeks of cold nights coming our way (around 40 degrees or less), so I thought I would wait to plant them in the ground until it warms up. The garden center said that they came from a shade house out of Orange County, and the Champion and Yellow Pear plants already have a few flowers on them. I am thinking they are probably going to be pretty confused, so I'm keeping them inside and bringing them outside for a few hours each day...in effect, hardening them off, even though they are 2' tall.

Is this the best way to care for store bought plants until they can go into the ground? I was thinking that perhaps I should put them under some lights as well, and treat them just as I would my seedlings. It has been really cloudy here, so even when they are out for a few hours, they aren't getting much in the way of direct sun.

Is there anything else I should do/not do to keep them happy until they are ready for planting?

Thanks!!

Comments (6)