SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shawski_gw

Late Blight Questions from a Newbie.

shawski
9 years ago

Hello,
I went away for a few days and when I came back.. late blight :( This is my first year growing tomatoes, so I'm unsure of a few things. I've had a neighbor who's been gardening for years tell me it was definitely late blight, so I can't even be delusional and hope it's not. [They just throw the plants away, but I'm hoping to salvage something.]

I have 5 roma plants, and 1 Yellow plant. The Blight seems to only be effecting a few plants at the moment.

1. If I remove those plants that show signs of being effected, is there a chance to save the others? Or if they are in the same bed, should I just admit defeat?

2. If the fruit doesn't seem to be effected on the plants that show no signs yet - but it's still green - is it possible to do something to ripen them so I can use them still? There's like over 40 green tomatoes that are large enough to expect them to turn ripe, and I'd REALLY hate to lose them all.

3. If I do need to pull the plants, is it ok to plant cooler weather crops for a fall harvest in that space? [Peas, beans, etc.] Or do I need to wait a little while, or treat the dirt with something?

4. It's a 16 x 4 ft bed. Are the eggplants planted next to the tomatoes toast too? :(

This is quite depressing, I must say. :(

Comment (1)