SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melissa_houser

My Garden Exploded!

Melissa Houser
15 years ago

Okay, the garden didn't really explode, but the greenery is amazing suddenly! I've recently added some fertilizer to the beds, along with a healthy dose of compost from my compost bins and WOW!

I was busy since Saturday, so hadn't been in the garden until today. When I went outside, every plant in the garden was waving new greenery at me.

The tomatoes have hit the top of their trellis and were nodding over. The collard starts I planted last week have tripled in size! And, best of all, all of my squashes (cantaloupe, pumpkin and cukes) are sending out runners everywhere.

I guess the secret to growing squashes in FL is to wait until September to plant them. I did see one solitary squash bug today and he's, well, squashed now.

This afternoon was a festival of string, since I spent most of it tying up my plants. I corralled the tomato limbs to keep them growing up the fence/trellis, laced the cukes and squashes up trellises and poles, and picked okra, onions and turnip greens.

My seedlings are now outside to harden off, although a few of them don't look so great. Once I feel they're ready, they will be joining the other darlings in my SFG.

Oh, and the best news of all...I now have little ferns growing in my asparagus bed I started! They are teeny, but they are there! YAY!

I'm sorry I don't have pictures of today's work, but I will post some after my camera charges. :)

Comments (14)

Sponsored