SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
farmerbell

Crinum lilies

farmerbell
18 years ago

Does anyone in middle TN grow crinum lilies? I bought a couple at a nursery in Columbia, but the owner did now know much about them. I was wondering if they are hardy here, how long it takes them to bloom, how to remove and root the pups that grow on the main stem. What conditions do they like to grow in--sun, shade, acid or alkaline soil, how much moisture? Can anyone who can tell me anything on how to successfully grow crinums? I thank each and every one who can help me. There is no better place than Garden Web to get the information one requires for any garden situation.

Ann

Comments (57)

• amazondoc
    18 years ago

I would LOVE to get some more crinums. I thought I'd be getting some from the UT gardens this spring -- but when I tried to divide their clump, the danged bulbs were so far down there that I couldn't get them out!! LOL! I just kept digging, and digging, and digging.....but I never did get to the bulbs. I was afraid I'd end up destroying the whole clump, so I gave up. Dangit!

• SmokyMist
    18 years ago

My mother did the same thing Doc, she dug one up for me and said if I ever needed another one I'd have to do it. She broke her shovel doing it. Her's is a macowanii crinum. It's extremely hardy and absolutely HUGE. I have some I'm going to plant this year from recent swaps. I've had them in pots and keep bringing them in during the winter, but I think I'll give it a go and put them in the ground. There is a guy up here on Chapman highway who grows and sells a beautiful red crinum. You just drive up to his house and he'll dig some fresh for you right out of his own yard .
    Now i have a question. I do have a beautiful Crinum 'Ellen Bonsanquet', pretty large plant too, but it's in a large pot. Does anyone know if this would be hardy here in zone 6 or 6 b?

Cheryl

• Related Discussions

HAVE: Crinum lily bulbs for trade

Q

Comments (2)
    Confederate Rose is just starting to leaf out. I had cut it down due to bad Winter. What Crinums do you have?
    ...See More

FREE Crinum Lilies (Ellen Bosanquet)

Q

Comments (45)
    I am another one to find this blog really really late. I just moved south from the Philly area and am just nuts about the pink crinum lilies =ever since I saw them in a garden tour here in beaufort, SC. I drive down to Delray Beach to take care of my mother in law's house several times a year and if anyone out there has some to share I would love to come a get a couple. Susan
    ...See More

X Post - Help We're Losing Crinum Lily

Q

Comments (1)
    this doesn't seem to be a true lily i am not an expert but in your position i would cut off all the leaves and see what happens if the growing season is over for these lilies i would uproot them and wait till march then replant them this treatment because they are hardy and take any abuse thrown to them except; excess water viral diseases like i said i'm not an expert..... anurag
    ...See More

Giant Spider Lily (Giant Crinum Lily)

Q

Comments (8)
    Here's a link to Marcelle's Crinums culture instructions. When growing out seed, I lay them in a pot with really good soil, wiggle them in a smidge and cover the top with plactic wrap. Keep it in the shade! Check on it every few days, letting in some fresh air and a bit of water. Be sure you don't damage the root they throw out. After that you remove the plastic, keep it watered and increase the sunlight until there are real leaves. I usually keep my seedlings in a pot for a year or two until they are big enough to fend for themselves. Good luck and enjoy your new babies!
    ...See More
  • amazondoc
    18 years ago

Plant Delights nursery says Ellen Bosanquet is hardy to 6b --

http://www.plantdelights.com/Catalog/Current/Detail/02193.html

• cannahavana
    18 years ago

No, Cheryl it will not be hardy at your house. You need to bring it to me where it is warmer :).

• SmokyMist
    18 years ago

Yipeeee !!!! I'm so glad it's hardy here, because it has a gorgeous bloom. Rebecca, just to be safe, when I plant it I'll get one of the babies for you so you can grow it there. If I kill it, you won't I'm sure and you can give me some back LOL.

Cheryl

• cannahavana
    18 years ago

Yeah, that's it! A backup plan!

• decolady01
    18 years ago

About 10 years ago I dug up Milk & Wine Lily (Crinum x herbertii) from my great-grandmother's house in Louisiana and planted them here. The bulbs are about the size of a grapefruit. Now I have 7 large clumps that I'm going to divide to share with my Mom and sister. These crinums LOVE it in Lincoln County, TN. They are in full sun and bloom profusely all summer. New bloomstalks come up whenever there's a good rain or I water deeply. Here's a photo I made late yesterday afternoon of one bloomstalk.

This stalk is producing 20 someodd flowers so far, and this clump of lilies has five bloomstalks. I am 5'6" and they are about waist high to me.

Here is a link that might be useful: Milk & Wine Lily information

• decolady01
    18 years ago

Forgot to say that I originally dug up the Milk & Wine Lilies in the early summer and planted them two days later. They bloomed by the end of summer. After about four years I moved them to their current location and they have bloomed every year. These plants have been pretty much worry free. If they miss blooming for a week or two, I give them a good watering, but otherwise I pretty much leave them alone.

• farmerbell
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Beautiful! Beautiful! And you say they bloom all summer. When you divide, if you have any extras, I would love to have one. You are so lucky that they have been in your family for so long. What a treasure! Thanks for the picture. I have heard that if often takes 2-3 years after planting before they bloom.

• peri__n_eal
    18 years ago

Farmerbell, decolady points out what I was driving at when I said they may take a year or two to bloom. She moved a mature clump and it bloomed the first year.

I bought a new one recently in a small 4" pot and I am pretty sure it will not bloom the first year. I think growers tell people that since what they sell is often a small start.

If we were so fortunate as to get a large, established clump, they might bloom the first year.

I seem to recall that many of them bloom once or twice a season, but not continually. Yours must be really happy decolady.

I love hearing that other people are cherishing their family treasure plants....especially since Louisiana is a very different zone. Maybe a little special love is helping it bloom so well.

• lmieke
    18 years ago

I am so glad to hear that crinums grow here in TN. I brought a pot of "seedlings" from TX with me this spring and hadn't decided where I was going to put them. Now, I think I will put them in my Tropical Garden, up close to the house where they will be a "little" protected. And I think I will put my amaryllus beside them. The area gets about three hours of mid day sun, with morning and afternoon light shade, so they should do okay, (I hope). I love my new home and I'm so excited about getting my gardens planted!

• decolady01
    18 years ago

About how long they take to bloom - my Mom was astonished that these did not go dormant when I moved them. She is 75 years old and remembers them in that spot in LA all her life. The ground was sandy loam, but I still had to dig down about 18" to get them up. And it was VERY difficult. I left most of the clump in place and brought the seven bulbs to TN. I can tell that each of my clumps is producing some new bulbs, so I will try digging them in the fall. If I am successful I will plan to bring some to the swap.

Does the sentimental value and special love make them bloom more? I wouldn't be at all surprised. Just to clarify though, these do put up bloomstalks during summer with rests in between. They are not blooming constantly. And the clumps don't all necessarily put up bloomstalks at the same time.

Becky

• peri__n_eal
    18 years ago

I went with a friend to pick tomatoes at her friends house---in their beautiful yard were two very well established crinums covered with bright red blooms in my zone 6.

They weren't at home, so I don't know what kind they were, but they were in very happy 4 foot clumps with 6 stalks of blooms.

I don't think there is any doubt many will grow happily in middle Tn. and probably here in east Tn. as well.

• farmerbell
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Has anyone seen any for sale in local nurseries?

• peri__n_eal
    18 years ago

There's an interesting article in August edition of Southern Living magazine on crinums. I had no idea how large the bulbs get.

• Big_Orange_Vol
    18 years ago

What is this lily? Is it an Asiatic?
    BTW, I'm so excited, this is my first posting of a pic. I did it!!! I'm not quite as stupid as I thought... maybe.
    Ok, I did have help walking me through it. Thank you Cheryl!

• TnShadyLady
    18 years ago

Fantastic photo, Jeff!

• mikeatle
    18 years ago

Crinum lilies will do just fine in Tennessee. I live in East Tennessee over near North Carolina, and they thrive here. I have a neighbor down the street who has wine and roses crinum plus another red one. They grow like gang busters!

There are lots of pure white ones around, too. My understanding is that crinums are an old plant that was popular "back in the day" and are gaining renewed popularity today.

I can't wait to add some to my garden. I've really just started noticing them in the past couple of years.

Michael

• rizzir
    18 years ago

That's a lovely Asiatic lily!

• maui4me
    18 years ago

I've been growing C. "Ellen Bosanquet" here in Kingsport for over fifteen years and it does great. They've been blooming for about three weeks or so and looks like they'll be a few more coming on. I've also got a fantastic variation of the "Milk & Wine" that I got from a lady just over in VA about five years ago. These things are massive and just finished a two month bloom cycle. They usually bloom before "Ellen B." and then rebloom in Sept. I rarely mulch either variety and they've only gotten bigger and better each year.

The only thing I dislike about Crinum's is that if you ever want to divide them, you'll need a backhoe to lift out the large clumps! When I separated my original clump of "Ellen B." about ten years ago, the five year old clump wouldn't hardly fit into a large mason's wheelbarrow and the bulbs and root ball hung over the sides. I seem to recall getting over forty bulbs out of that clump. Now I've got about a dozen clumps that size.

• Amazindirt (7a TN)
    18 years ago

If you ever want to get rid of a few bulbs, just let me know! :-)

• SmokyMist
    18 years ago

I guess I'm going to take the big plunge and plant my Ellen Bonsanquet crinum in the garden. The main part of the plant is about as big around as a basketball lol. Here are some pics..

{{gwi:1284622}}

{{gwi:1284623}}

I would like to swap out part of mine for a hardy red or white.

Cheryl

• merriss
    18 years ago

It sort of bothers me, that some will, "hook you up"..
    I can assure you that most all of the Crinium Lilies will survive in TN. I searched for many, many years before I found the plant from my childhood that I loved so well. It was the simple white pass along Crinium, that I so treasure to this day.
    They are ever so hardy in our zone. I mulch them each year as a precaution, such a difference in the Carolina Coast and here, but they are wonderful. Bloom depends on bulb size..some bulbs are huge, up to 12 or more inches, which gives them the reputation as having to dig to the "ends of the earth" to get a start..I think they are well worth the effort.
    Good luck and keep sharing good info so that we can all share as a group!

• cannahavana
    18 years ago

Remember Cheryl...you need a backup! They are beautiful! I'm sure I could find something or two for you in return ;) I'll be at your swap in a few weeks, OR you could swing on by the house. Oh yeah, do you have frogs that need a home? Coty and I are setting up a plaudarium.

Rebecca

• cannahavana
    18 years ago

Jeff, that lily is awesome, but so sorry that it will not survive in Nashville. You must promptly send them to me :)

Rebecca

• Big_Orange_Vol
    18 years ago

Bec this is the third year for it so I must be doing something right. Do you split Asiatics? You know that I'd gladly give you guys one! Tell Doug and the kids we send our best.

We have some of the pink Crinums but after hearing about the trouble they are to dig up I may pass on trying to split those.

• cannahavana
    18 years ago

BOV, just kidding on the survival :). That's how I get Cheryl convinced that she needs to share to insure survival of her plants, LOL! But, you must know that if you show a photo of a beautiful flower, you must prepare to share, LOL! I don't know which one you have but I have not seen one like that before.

The bulbs can be dug up and split. I have some Lilium 'Shocking' that I could share with you and a certain canna that you might be interested in.

Rebecca

• cannahavana
    18 years ago

Forgot to add...As others have posted here, the crinums are quite a task to get out of the ground. We had some huge white blooming ones that had outgrown its spot and we dug them out (after breaking one shovel) and the bulbs were a good 18" long with huge thick roots anchoring them in the ground. I believe we sent them to a few folks on this forum but I don't remember who.

On the other hand, we had the milk and wine crinums like decolady pictured above and they were relatively easy to dig because they were smaller in size.

Rebecca

• Big_Orange_Vol
    18 years ago

We got our Criniums from Lavonne's Aunt and Uncle in Greenhill, Ala. Those bulbs were bigger than a cannonball three years ago so I can only imagine how large they are now.

Mrs. Holder we would be more than happy to share those Asiatics with you guys. That Shocking thing is the yellow with red stripes right? I'd love to have some doubles! I just found out that Asiatics come that way too. I'm big on doubles in any kind of Lilly. I also didn't realize that there is a difference between Asiatics and Orientals. Everyday I learn how much more ignorant I am than the day before. How depressing!
    I can't get an orange Canna of any kind to grow and we've tried three different ones!!!

• cannahavana
    18 years ago

Mr. Toothman, you haven't seen my orange canna! I grew it from seed so I am the only one that has it. It is a dwarf too, about 2 ft high if that much. Heck I will even name it in your honor :).

I even have an orange orchid blooming just in time for the season to start!

• Big_Orange_Vol
    18 years ago

You go girl! Those looks great. I would be ever so honored to have something named after me that looks that good. I would expect maybe something like a toadstool or a disease to be named after me instead.

Merriss I'm kind of at a loss as to why you would be bothered by me "hooking up" Marty and her husband, or anyone else for that matter, with a Crinium at the Swap. That's pretty much the whole idea of having the Swap. Am I missing something here? I'd be happy to swap you one too if you would like! BTW, that was a wonderful gesture you made to the folks in La & Ms on their Forum. My hat's off to you!!!

Jeff

• cannahavana
    18 years ago

Well...the canna is only 2ft tall. :) :0

Behave!

• SmokyMist
    18 years ago

ROFL, 2 feet tall LOL
    ahem.....Rebecca those are absolutely stunning !!!!

• Big_Orange_Vol
    18 years ago

Well I'm about two-foot tall when I'm on my back. I didn't realize that this was going to be a discussion of height.

Ms. Morgan, why would you be ROFL? You and Dr. Renee may be the only people at the Swap that are shorter than I am. ;-)

• cannahavana
    18 years ago

Sorry BOV, couldn't help myself *grin*.

Cheryl, get your sorry self over here and help me thin out some stuff! :)

• SmokyMist
    18 years ago

Is Sunday open for you Rebecca ? Jeff, I'll have you know I'm all of 5'6" tall, in bare feet even ! LOL

• Soeur
    18 years ago

Jeff, I'm 5'2" tall (and I don't want to think how wide), so I'm pretty sure you're taller than I am. I'm strong enough to carry one of those mega-crinum bulbs, though...

Marty

• Amazindirt (7a TN)
    18 years ago

Looks like I'll stand out in the crowd. I'm six feet! LOL.

• SmokyMist
    18 years ago

It takes more than height to stand out in this crowd :o)

Cheryl

• Amazindirt (7a TN)
    18 years ago

Well, I may be at a disadvantage there. I've lost 105 pounds over the last two years, so I'm a mere shadow of my former self. ;-)

• SmokyMist
    18 years ago

Oh my...surely you aren't making a crack about folks being overweight ? I was talking about strength of character, laughter, genuine kindness and such as that. I was not talking about physical virtues, which can be changed at the drop of a hat. I would hate to think you were saying that because you have lost weight you are somehow better than others ? It's what's inside that counts, is that not correct ?

• SmokyMist
    18 years ago

p.s. Congratulations on losing all that weight ! That is fantastic !! :o)

• Amazindirt (7a TN)
    18 years ago

LOL.

And here I thought I was your "special friend". For a "special friend", you seem awfully determined to imagine nefarious intent lurking beneath my light-hearted postings. ;-)

Cheryl, you obviously don't like me -- and that's okay, I can live with it. But this sort of ongoing sniping is both annoying and childish. How about just ignoring my existence instead? I'm sure everyone here would send you their heartfelt thanks!

• SmokyMist
    18 years ago

Oh my goodness..I didn't mean a thing by what I said. I was asking a serious question. Why must you take everything I say with some kind of malicious content when there is none there ? I'm getting tired of your pettiness. You seem like a woman who has lots of LOL's in her sentences , but much heaviness in her heart. I'm sorry that we can't start over and really get to know each other, but apparently that's how you want it. For example, you will always have to have the last word...go ahead...and you know, God bless you, and may your gardens grow like crazy and you be a very happy woman. I'm just sick and tired of the crap from you, when I keep trying and trying to do nothing but be your friend. It's bitterness that eats at the soul. No fake LOL's here...I think it's very sad, and I mean that from my heart. Now I'm going back to packing up clothes for the Hurricane victims...why don't you go look at every post I've made and see what else you can add to it ? I'm through with it....I give up. I've tried to become friends with you so many times, but your sarcasm and emails, I'll admit, got the best of my temper. So you know...fine, we wont' be friends, it's not like I don't have MANY of them here. God Bless...let's just part ways...

• SmokyMist
    18 years ago

I am ready to divide my crinum...do you think if I bring it down there you can help me , thus getting a big ole chunk of it for yourself ?

Cheryl

• cannahavana
    18 years ago

Tomorrow's good, come on over! Just don't write in the dust or mind the weeds. :)

Rebecca

• Big_Orange_Vol
    18 years ago

Hey Marty that's right,I forgot about you there for a second. ;-) I'm feeling taller already!

• rizzir
    18 years ago

Since we're having a Crinum discussion, I thought I'd ask:

{{gwi:1284627}}

I dug this bulb from my front yard about 8 years ago, under that maple. I then moved it to a place it really hated, and it never bloomed there. Late last year I moved it to its current location. It put up some straps but then died back with the cold. This year it started its straps in July, I think.

Do you think this is Crinum, Agapanthus, or neither? It's about 2.5 feet tall (which seems small for Crinum?)

• SmokyMist
    18 years ago

It reminds me of my mom's Macrowannii crinum leaves when they are young, but not sure.

Cheryl

• cannahavana
    18 years ago

Rizzir, we have the same thing and it has never bloomed. Bought it at Lowes in the bulb section labeled as Hymenocallis. Then I was given what was supposed to be an amarylis and it turned out to bloom just like the hymenocallis! The foliage is completely different. I'm so confused! LOL!

Rebecca

Sponsored