SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
spaghetina

Peat moss substitute - redwood compost?

14 years ago

I posted this over in the soil forum, but maybe it'd be better suited to those of you who are actually into SFG and who have used, or have at least thought about using Mel's Mix.

I've finally gotten my wheelbarrow, and it's time to really start looking into what kind of mix I'm going to put into my new raised beds. I'd like to stick mostly to Mel's mix, but since it seems like everyone has their own twist on the recipe, I thought I'd ask if it'd be acceptable to substitute redwood compost for the peat. I have a feeling peat is quite a bit more expensive for a yard than I'd be paying for the redwood, and I'd be able to have the redwood loaded into a truck and hauled to my house, rather than having to load up my sedan and bring home bales of peat.

I know the peat is there for moisture retention purposes, and I'm not sure whether or not the redwood compost will have the same properties, but as I've been reading about it, it does sound as though it might.

There are so many things out there marketed as "fines" and "compost" that it starts to get confusing as to which is good for what, but for reference, this is the stuff I'd be buying.

I'd be mixing it with this compost, and then some bagged vermiculite that the company has told me they carry, though I haven't seen it. Actually, I'll need to ask them what the REAL difference between their "finished" compost and their "garden" compost is because, honestly, when I saw them for the first time, they looked almost indistinguishable, and it sounds as though they're made from the exact same things.

Comments (7)

Sponsored