SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
khristle

Beats Peat - Peat Moss Alternative / and how much $ to fill bed?

khristle
15 years ago

With all the controversy about peat moss I'm thinking about using a product called Beats Peat which is recommended by people at my local nursery. It comes in this little tiny square, then you add 10 gallons of water and it expands to 3 cu feet. I am a real stickler for following the "rules" and am nervous about making this substitution. Has anyone used this? Or know if Mel has commented about using this? I have searched his website to no avail!

One other thing...I'm going to have three 4X4 beds...reading the SFG book, I think it looks like this might be enough to fill the beds:

vermiculite 3.5 cu feet $24.49

peat moss 3.8 cu feet $11.49 (or 1 brick of Beats Peat for $15)

3 cu feet $8.99 Garden Bloom Compost soil building (and hopefully supplemented by homemade compost by spring planting. ( Garden Bloom compost was recommended by Mel's associate instead of using 5 mixes of compost on this thread: http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/sqfoot/msg0120310832004.html )

$50 seems like a reasonable start up cost. Am I missing something? I've seen people complain about how much $$ they spend on this, but I'm as cheap as they come and this doesn't seem so bad.

Comments (13)

Sponsored