SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bigorangevol

Enjoy this Memorial Day but...

bigorangevol
16 years ago

While everyone is grilling, swimming, traveling and having a fun time in general let us not forget that today SHOULD be for promoting the spirit of unity and remembrance through observance of Memorial Day by ensuring that nation remembers the sacrifices of America's fallen from the Revolutionary War to the present and for recognizing those who served and those who continue to serve our great nation and reminding all Americans of their common heritage.

Memorial Day is NOT the day the freakin' pool opens OK? How sad, embarrassing and abhorrent is it that only 28% of Americans know the real meaning of his holiday? So 72% have no clue?!!!!!!!!! We need to do something about that and it needs to start today!

As we remember our fallen heroes, our hearts go out to those who can never forget - the families they left behind. I know that there are people whose wounds are still fresh 1, 5, 10, 20, 30, 40, and 50 years later. For those of us who have not lived it, it is hard to imagine what it must be like seeingÂwith shock and puzzlement and dreadÂa uniformed officer and a chaplain approach the front door, hearing them express the deep sorrow and gratitude of the United States, saying "We regret to inform youÂ" Do not think in terms of thousands of casualties, but think of it in terms of one. Because each casualty was someone's loved one. At the end of any war, the image of a jubilant country dancing and flag-waving in Times Square is vastly different from that of a parent or widow and her children who must face the rest of their lives without a son, husband and a father.

PLEASE take the time to explain to you families, children and friends what this day is about! Call a friend or the family of a Veteran who sacrificed to say, "Thank you...." The worst thing that I can imagine is for our country to take for granted and forget the sacrifices that have been made for our freedom. If that occurs then we donÂt deserve it anyway. To everyone on this forum that is a veteran, currently serving or anyone that has ever lost a family member in service of our country...please except my gratitude and/or heartfelt condolences. You have my most sincere and deepest respect!

"Last Monday in May"

By

John T. Bird

We pause to remember those who died

With so much courage, so much pride

TheyÂll never come back, yet memories endure

To remind us of freedom: fragile, pure

WeÂre worthy of their sacrifice if we pause each day

Not just on the last Monday in May

***climbing down off of my soapbox now***

Comments (4)

Sponsored