SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tntwalter

Good Range for someone who enjoys to cook...but...

tntwalter
14 years ago

I'm not a gourmet chef or baker. But I have 3 kids and do cook a lot. I don't need super fancy things. But I want more than basic. I want to love my range. But I want to be able to afford my range. I would like to be under $2k if at all possible.

Is there a good middle of the road range or am I hoping for too much? 30" range too so I don't have to change cabinets out...but if I had to get 36" I could make it work.

I'd like 5 burners. Being able to use a griddle would be great [I often use my portable griddle that plugs in because I can cook 4 pancakes at a time.] I would love convection so I can bake multiple trays of cookies, etc. evenly.

I love trying new recipes and getting a little creative.

I often cook for larger groups [10-12].

Thanks.

I've driven myself crazy searching for appliances.

Trish

Comments (53)

• sfjeff
    14 years ago

I can't even get three decent-sized pots on a 30" non-pro-style range, so I don't see much value to the 5-burner configurations they are coming out with now. I think there is a huge advantage to gas or induction over conventional or smooth-top electric ranges. If we didn't have a pacemaker in the house and had electric service, I'd consider the induction ranges now hitting the $2000 mark.

I found it hard to "love" any of the modestly-priced gas ranges (under $2000) and, when that looked like how we were going, were going to "make due for a few years" with a decent $800-1000 Frigidaire. Certainly better than our half-pilotless 10kBTU/hr Caloric, but not a huge step up.

• amcook
    14 years ago

I'd agree with all the suggestions to abandon the idea of 5 burners with a 30" size. There's just not enough room for reasonable sized pots and pans. I would suggest a 4 burner (open if you're not set on sealed). 5-star has one with a street price of about $2700 I think. Their sealed burner runs about 1k more. This would give you more power than the standard sub 10k BTU/hr burners near your price range. If you don't do wok cooking, then induction is a good option as sfjeff suggests. Lots of induction options around $2k now. I know people who are happy with the higher end Kenmore ranges also.

BTW, I've never owned a 5-star so can't vouch for them.

Good luck.

• Related Discussions

Need someone good at math

Q

Comments (7)
    The first thing I want to do is adjust the figures for the different numbers of days in each billing cycle. That one day difference is important. The easiest way I believe is to divide the number of therms used by the number of days to give an average therms per day figure. Using your numbers for December 2006: 119 therms / 31 days = 3.8 therms per day Now to make this relevant to the average temperature that month, I would divide this derived figure by the average temperature to get an average therms per day per degree average temperature. 3.8 therms per day / 28F = 0.14 therms per day per degree F Doing the same calculations for December 2007 gives me the figure 0.28 therms per day per degree F. This method should give you a rough comparison, but it's not ideal in some ways. I don't like using averages, they can be heavily skewed over wide ranges. Also, what we are comparing is your gas consumption against the average temperature. Your heating does not however heat that way, it raises the temperature in your house to whatever the thermostat is set at above that temperature, which means we're missing a more useful number from our calculations. For example, when it was on average 16F, and your thermostat is set at 70F, your heating had to raise the temperature in the house on average by 54F. This number has a direct relationship to how much work your central heating did, and so would be a better way to compare the numbers. If I used the assumed figure of 70F for the thermostat, I get the numbers: December 2006: 0.09 therms per degree F your house temperature is raised. December 2007: 0.08 therms per degree F your house temperature is raised. If however your thermostat was reduced to 65F during December 2007, the figure would become 0.09 therms per degree your house temperature is raised. As you can see, the amount of work performed by your central heating is very important to these figures and could turn them around entirely. Unfortunately, if your house is anything like ours, the thermostat setting changes several times a day. Traditional mercury thermostats are also exceptionally inaccurate. Some by 5F or more, which is perhaps why some people report that they only heat their house to 64F! We might also have to factor in other appliances that use gas in your house? To really be sure if there is a statistical difference we would have to collect all the data you have for your gas usage, the weather and any other data you have and perform some type of statistical test on it, which would give us a probability of the difference in gas consumption being by chance. It's kind of extreme, I certainly haven't bothered to statistical test any of my own bills yet, but it would give you as close to an accurate answer as possible. Anyway, I hope this highlights the difficulty we have deriving useful figures for energy use outside controlled environments. As the variables increase and the accuracy of the figures we do have are questioned, attempts to turn them in to something useful become more difficult.
    ...See More

Can someone good with Photoshop help me, please?

Q

Comments (3)
    Nice job Michoumonster! kaysd - I've found that it you can take a picture from straight on, it's much easier to photoshop. Love your luce di luna; looked for, lusted after, but couldn't find slabs I liked. The hood looks great IMHO. Best, oldbat2be
    ...See More

For those who 'enjoy' home fragrances....

Q

Comments (13)
    Yeah, Charlee I understand. However based on what I've read I think I'll pass. I don't know whether or not it's the burning alcohol or the actual oils that create the volatile organic compounds that disperse through the air, and I really don't care to research it that thoroughly. I just think I'll pass on it. I've loved the Lampe, and have been a strong advocate for it in the past. But I never stopped to think about what it might be emitting. Since California has banned it because it exceeds the allowance of acceptable VOC's, coupled with the research I just did online, I think I'll just find another way to kill the odors. I can do just as well opening the windows, airing out the house and adding home fragrance scents I can buy here - ones that don't exceed the VOC limits. California can be a pain sometimes. Our gas prices are higher than anywhere else in the nation because of the VOC requirements on gas that is burned here. Oh well. At my age, I'm not into taking the risk. The link below was an eye-opener. It's a very slow toxcity, so unlikely to be noticed for a while. Better to be safe than rue it later. I'll guess I'll just stick to the home fragrances I can buy here. Thanks anyway. Here is a link that might be useful: Volatile Organic Compounds
    ...See More

someone tell me if these will look good once it’s all set up

Q

Comments (49)
    I have dark floors. As someone said, beautiful, but never again. Never. I don’t even have pets and I’m cleaning them constantly. And since your fiancé is arguing that you’re a neat freak and therefore is trying to talk you out of white cabinets, use that argument to get lighter floors. Now, onto white cabinets. Both white and dark cabs will show dirt. And I’m okay with that because then I know I need to wipe them down. But white will hide and dark will show are smudges. That’s a never ending battle here with young kids. Do what you want with that info.
    ...See More
  • tntwalter
    Original Author
    14 years ago

OK so no 5 burners unless 36".

What do cooks like me have that they like?

Trish

• sfjeff
    14 years ago

Trish -- under $2000 or not?

Under $2000, for gas, the NXR looks like a hot ticket. Thread active currently. I don't own one, but it seems significantly better than the competition below about $3000.

Over $2000, you're opening a big can-o-worms. I'll leave the lid on unless you say...

• jakkom
    14 years ago

As long as you understand a couple of things about going up to a 36" pro-style:
    - 36" oven takes a lot longer to preheat than a 30".
    - Many pro-style ranges don't offer convection or self-cleaning ovens.
    - More mfgs offer closed burner (which is probably what you're used to) than open burner design
    - You'll need 2 burners front-to-back that are the same BTU to use a griddle easily.
    - You will pay a lot more for a vent hood that will work well over a 36" range, than if you have a 30" range. Always keep in mind your total costs, not just the cost for a single item.

I think in your case I'd opt for a 30" Electrolux Icon or GE Profile/Monogram with an extended warranty - being someone who doesn't particularly trust the electronics on today's ranges after 2 repairs in 6 mos. cost us almost $800, on a 6 yr old gas range.

• marcolo
    14 years ago

I've had two Frigidaire ranges, one smoothtop electric and one dual fuel. I hate smoothtops, but the convection oven worked great. Now I have a dual fuel without convection. One of the burners goes up to 15K BTUs, which is about the same as you get in many $5000 plus ranges. I do miss the convection, and I have to say, I've never been a huge fan of regular electric broilers. However, the oven works fine.

I don't like big closed burners, but you get those on a lot of pro ranges, too.

No one has had any complaints about my cooking with either range, although I'm sure my food would be much better if my range made banging noises, broke five times in three weeks, required five techs to adjust the simmer, heated up the oven door so hot I burned my $#@, or put a $10,000 dent in my bank account. My requirement for my next range is that it works at least this well.

• sfjeff
    14 years ago

I'm not in complete agreement with some of the statements:

- 36" oven takes a lot longer to preheat than a 30"
    * The preheat time is comparable (within a couple minutes in a dozen or score of minutes), and you should let any oven stabilize significantly longer than just "coming up to temperature" before any temperature-sensitive baking.

- Many pro-style ranges don't offer convection or self-cleaning ovens.
    * Convection is definitely available on many, if not most pro-style ranges
    * Not being self-cleaning is, to some, an advantage, as the thermal stresses on the appliance are a lot less and there is one less thing to fail with time (take a look at Trevor's videos on oven cleaning as to why self-clean is, to many, an unneeded "selling point")

- More mfgs offer closed burner (which is probably what you're used to) than open burner design
    * This is true -- probably why BlueStar fans are, well, so fanatic (can-o-worms #2 is open vs. closed burners)

- You'll need 2 burners front-to-back that are the same BTU to use a griddle easily.
    * You just need to adjust two burners to roughly the same level.

- You will pay a lot more for a vent hood that will work well over a 36" range, than if you have a 30" range. Always keep in mind your total costs, not just the cost for a single item.
    * The incremental cost between a good 36" hood (for a 30" range) and a 42" hood is minimal. Well under $200 in Independent "Incline" hoods, for example.

Here is a link that might be useful: Trevor's Open-Burner, Manual-Clean Videos

• tntwalter
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Cheapest I can find is >$2500. Plus the top is 3 pieces and hard to clean. Doesn't appeal to me. I've read all about them here. Pass on it. Thanks though!

sjeff posted on another thread titled 'GE CAFE vs. NXR' about a Frigidaire he/she liked.Frigidaire FGGF3042KF
    I like the price. $899 at BB right now. Not very pretty though. :O)

I'm also considering 30" Electrolux Icon or GE Profile/Monogram ... or even GE Cafe...

I will not go over $2k.

I do like self clean. Mine broke on current range and it's just not that easy to clean now. Plus self clean involved no chemicals. I need to look at Trevor videos.

At this point I'd prefer 30" if at all possible and I WANT convection. I often make 4+ dozen cookies and think this will really save me time right??

Plus I've discovered..... http://www.squaretrade.com/
    for warranties. Many on slickdeals.net use it.

Keep ideas coming.

TRISH
    Trish

• dufflove
    14 years ago

Fratelli Onofri has 30" ranges coming soon. I've been in contact with Eurochef and they say more info available November 1st. Price might be over your $2K but unless you are getting a deal so is the Electrolux Icon which you have on your list.

• tntwalter
    Original Author
    14 years ago

GE PGB975SEMSS

It is listed at homedepot for $1843 so I can take to BestBuy where they price match + 10% which brings me Gas convection oven - Convection heating circulates the air to keep the heat consistent, enhancing the baking or roasting results
    Self-clean oven - Self-clean allows you to spare yourself from the trouble and effort it takes to scrub the oven interior. The oven does all the work!
    Extra-large oven capacity - Ideal for special occasions and big meals, the extra large oven interior allows more to cook at once
    Lower oven - Lower oven with heating up 450° offers additional cooking space when you need it most
    QuickSet VI glass touch controls - Controlling the oven is incredibly easy with the glass one-touch control panel and its easy to keep clean
    PowerBoil 18,000 BTU Burner - Delivers 18,000 BTUs of forceful heat for rapid boiling
    Continuous grates - Connected cooktop grates provide a study, uninterrupted surface that allows pots and pans to move easily
    Stainless appearance knobs - Stainless appearance knobs add a touch of style that complements the overall stainless steel exterior.
    Precise simmer burner - Simmer burners allows for low, even heat distribution that is ideal delicate foods and sauces

And it's not bad looking either! It also has griddle and DELAY bake which I liked on old range [before the electronics died].

What do you all think???

TIA

Trish

• weissman
    14 years ago

GE does make reasonable ranges and if it has the features that you want, then go for it. The one thing I would say, however, is that IMHO the range is the one appliance that's worth splurging on. Others will disagree, but to me a fridge is a fridge and a DW is a DW - expensive models don't make that much difference - but a great range will make cooking a lot more fun and enable you to improve your cooking skills.

• tntwalter
    Original Author
    14 years ago

how much of a splurge are you talking?

I mean $3k? or $5k? There's a HUGE difference there to me. And what specific range are you thinking? Thanks so much.

Trish

• sfjeff
    14 years ago

I'm with Weissman on that.

That GE is probably a very good piece. I didn't look at GEs in great detail as the Frigidaire was going to meet our immediate needs (replace a dying Caloric for a couple years with a "functional" range). I'm not sure if the GE is "$1000 better" than a $900 range. $1000 buys a nice hood if you don't have budget already, or a lot of nice cookware and a couple non-Western-ified Japanese knives...

At nearly $2,000, I'd rather have all four burners available rather than getting self clean and having to shuffle around a marginally-useful 5kBTU/hr burner.

Bring in your pots and pans before you decide. Make sure you can get them on in a way you're comfortable with. In the sub-$2000 range, I had to settle for two corn/pasta pots and a 10" frypan -- none could handle that and a 12" frypan. Some couldn't even handle the 10" frypan. I don't care how many BTU or burners you have, if you can't comfortably put a pot on top of them...

(The price protection programs generally don't give you 10% of the total price if they are undersold, just 10% of the difference -- which is probably just a few dollars. If one or the other offers "free" delivery, take that, but buy the gas connector at the Home Depot for $20, instead of the $50 or more the installer will charge you for the one off their truck. BrassCraft is a decent brand.)

Here is a link that might be useful: High-Carbon vs. Stainless as bad as Open vs. Sealed

• weissman
    14 years ago

I didn't have a specific range in mind for you - it's just that several people above suggested ranges in the 2K - 3K price range, and I guess I wouldn't rule them out unless you really can't afford the difference. Personally I like having a self-cleaning oven.

• tntwalter
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I didn't see several people suggesting ranges in $2-3K ?

There were TWO ... NXR and FiveStar. Missed the FiveStar post. FiveStar is $2700. NXR $2500.

I'll look into the 5star some more. See what I find.

I was hoping someone actually cooked like I do and had a mid-priced 30" gas range that they liked.

Still hoping.

Trish

• sfjeff
    14 years ago

NXR DRGB3001 should only be $1999

• weissman
    14 years ago

tntw - are you an English teacher? I used the word several to mean a few - I didn't actually count the number of ranges mentioned in the above posts, but technically you're right, several means more than two!

• sfjeff
    14 years ago

I'll save your butt ;) -- I was quoted under $3000 on an American Range 30" by a two different dealers. Just barely under, but under nonetheless. As far as I know, American Range is not a UMRP product.

• sfjeff
    14 years ago

Here's another -- Now this is the "promotional series" BlueStar line and I don't know the details of the differences at all, but this just came to me when specifying "in Northern California"
    Thank you for requesting a price quote from Select Appliance!

Your special discount price for the
    Blue Star Range RCS30-4B is:

$2395.00 ($1805.00 / 42% off the MSRP!)

And don't forget: shipping is free!

To order this item, please to call us toll free at:

1-888-235-0431, 9:00AM - 5:00PM Pacific time, M-F.

View the product details and photos at:
    http://www.selectappliance.com/exec/ce-product/bs_rcs30-4b

Any questions? Just reply to this email!

• matt_r
    14 years ago

NXR...check out an active post regarding this range. For a 30" range, it is $1900 (free shipping) from Aus Texas. Blows comparable run of the mill ranges away. Same parts as Wolf.

• tntwalter
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sorry I was a little anal in my reply...not an English Teacher. Just a frustrated kitchen remodeler trying to find a stove. ;o)

I can't find NXR listed for $1999. Perhaps I'd have to go to a brick and mortar store.

I like the price of that Blue Star but it's non convection.

May I ask why these ranges are so much better than say a GE or kenmore for a Food Network-esque cook? Is it the open burners?

NXR DRG3001 ... I found it for $1999 by doing a google search with the price. Thanks. I'll consider it if you all feel strongly.

http://www.austexhd.com/_CGI/MODEL?KEY=NXR:DRGB3001

Trish

• sfjeff
    14 years ago

NXR isn't an open burner range. However, it is a much better burner than on most "home" ranges (even the high-end GEs and Electrolux). Pure power isn't everything, but having four "cookable" burners is, to me, a big advantage. The burner spacing on the pro-style ranges tends to be a little more open, allowing you to use, for example, a 12" frypan and an 8" pot comfortably on the front/back burner pair. Another advantage is that, for many of the "better" ranges, the ability to control the temperature is somewhat easier.

With the NXR, I'd suggest the center grate to make it easy to slide pots across the top.

If you decide on the NXR, you might want to call up Trevor at Eurostoves. I believe they carry the NXR as well as the grate. Their customer service is excellent and they stand behind product in the "old fashioned" way.

Shoot, I forgot the most important reason. It has a beautiful blue interior to the oven!

• tntwalter
    Original Author
    14 years ago

http://www.eurostoves.com/Capital_GCR304_Captial_PSVH30_p/1002.htm

what do you think of that range vs. the NXR?

Trish

• idrive65
    14 years ago

It looks like they put a photo of a 5 burner range in an ad for a four burner (GCR304 has four) range.

• tom_p_pa
    14 years ago

Make sure you clarify the NXR you are getting with Eurostoves. Their ad is conflicting in several ways. The header summary says it is a DRGB3001 which is a flat front, but does not match the the picture which is a slanted front. And the text (below) says is is a NRG3001 which is a slanted front.

Not sure if Eurostoves has free shipping, but AusTex does. So I would not pay for shipping, so the NXR should be had for $1999 total.

"Our 30" Professional Style gas range is the definition of cooking convenience. The range top comes standard with four 15,000 BTU sealed gas burners, complimented by heavy-duty cast iron cooking grates. The spacious 4.2 cubic foot convection oven is equipped with a 16,500 BTU infrared broiler. All these features wrapped up in a 304 stainless steel exterior, the NRG3001 meets the highest standards of both quality and durability. "

• tntwalter
    Original Author
    14 years ago

http://www.ajmadison.com/cgi-bin/ajmadison/UM90F.html?mv_pc=pg

First the PRICE. Ouch. Second it's 36" which I would have to change cabinets. BUT besides self clean and open burners it seems to have MANY MANY cool features....

Thanks.

• guadalupe
    14 years ago

PGB918 GE Profile range, 5 Burners with griddle accessory, 2 ovens 1 Gas - 1 regular household electric, convection in the gas oven approx $1500-$1600 great reputation, great main oven size second oven can be a warming draw, oven or storage depending upon your needs, great burners not pro but I beleive 1 is 17,000 or 18,000

• sfjeff
    14 years ago

Check with Eurostoves on the Capital vs. the NXR. It is likely that the web site hasn't been completely updated to reflect the recent changes in the NXR line; I do not suspect anything nefarious at all.

Trevor is a straight shooter, in my opinion. It may be a touch more if he has to charge shipping, but the level of pre- and post-sales support they provide is well worth it.

• tntwalter
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thank you for the GE opinion. I'm strongly considering this one.

I really just don't want to go over $3k; prefer $2500 max.

Went to an appliance store hoping to see NXR ILVE etc. NOPE. There was a floor model marked down to $3800 Viking. It was ok.

Trish

• sfjeff
    14 years ago

Find out who Duro's regional distributor is, then call that distributor to see either if they have a "showroom" with a live range or which dealer in your area has one, preferably live.

For Ilve, try their US importer/distributor:

Eurochef USA
    41 Mercedes Way
    Suite 25
    Edgewood, NY 11717
    Phone: 1-866-844-6566
    Fax: 1.631.254.3426

• tntwalter
    Original Author
    14 years ago

to fit it....sigh.

The closest place according the the appliance store is 1.5 hours away. i don't know if it would be 'live'.

I read on Eurochef's blog...they are coming out with a 30" Majestic. Anyone know how much that will be?

I looked at Viking, Bettzoni [sp] and several others. The B oven is too small as that would be my only oven. The doors were sooooo heavy on the ovens. I'm sure it's to keep heat in for baking but wow. what a pain.

I feel like I'm giving up features for a pro-style range. Perhaps because I cook just fine on my piece of junk old Kenmore I just don't get it.

I'm not a fan of the industrial nothing but stainless look. Looks to be a pain to clean and scratch and all that.

The grates on the Viking were so heavy which I know is a plus but I don't know why and thought what a pain to clean under.

I don't know...just not 'wowed' by anything.

Can you all come down in price on your recommendations please? Or new people add some recommendations.

Thanks.

Trish

• weissman
    14 years ago

What about the GE range that you wrote about above. Sounds like that would meet your cooking needs and price point. Did you rule that out for some reason?

• matt_r
    14 years ago

I just called Eurostoves and spoke with Trevor regarding the NXR...they sell both styles, so just ask when buying. However, I believe they are higher priced than you can get elsewhere. I think the straight front model is more...why, who knows, probably more desirable so they may be trying to get more profit on that style.

He had nothing but praise for the range. And has had NO problems with any of the ranges sold. He said it was a SOLID and sturdy range. Not a cheapie unit. Well built and constructed. It is amazed at how well it is made. I called Trevor because so many posts talk about positively about him....so consider this good and valid data.

Where do you live? Check out the active NXR post on here, several locations have them on the showroom floor.

• tntwalter
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'm just not excited about it.

I am excited about the Ilve/Fratelli Onofri options, especially the 30" coming out. BUT I'm seriously considering a 36" because the price is so good on the F.O.

Does anyone know why the Ilve oven is so small on the Majestic vs. Royal Chiantishire. It's only 2.8 cu. ft. vs. 37. on the F.O. both are 36" and one big oven [not the doubles].

My budget doesn't allow for the Ilve at 36" perhaps if it comes out in 30" It may be closer to 3k.

I'm also interested in the Electrolux Icon. It has a blue interior also for those that like that about NXR.

And the GE is still there just in case.

I'm still hoping something will jump out at me from another post, etc.

Thanks all.

Trish

• sfjeff
    14 years ago

Trish,

For you, appearance and "feel" are clearly very important. At this point, no post is going to change that, you are buying with your instinct. There is nothing wrong with that. I would be very surprised if you were happy with any of the pro-style ranges. I would carefully decide if you are willing to deal with the "funkiness" of some of the non-US ranges with how the controls work or how they light. I would not buy one without spending some time working with a "live" range to see how they feel.

From what I've read, I think you will be most happy with a middle-of-the-road "home" range designed for the American market; GE, Electrolux, Fridigaire, what have you.

• tntwalter
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thanks for feedback. I have a hard time buying a product when I clearly know it's made in China. Sometimes I buy products and have the luxury of cluelessness, but in this case I do not.

I feel like that is the only option being pushed at me and I'm hoping there are more.

I am not crazy about the 'home' appliances. I looked at the GE Profile and it's 'OK'.

Frankly I would rather have a backsplash than electronics to look at.

I'm also wondering if 36" might be better for me as sometimes I would love the extra cooktop space.

A warming drawer would be cool but I don't have one now and could deal without it.

I haven't had self-cleaning in 2 years because I fried the electronics in the ole' kenmore. I do not like the easy-off way...too stinky forever afterwards. I liked just burning the #$@# out of whatever was in there and being done. Is there a non easy-off way to clean an oven?

I guess I'm hoping there's a happy medium....conveniences of 'home' and pretty PLUS cool cooking features of 'pro'.

I'm willing to go to $3k but DH about died when I told him about the Viking on clearance for $3800.

I do not cook like hopscotch or whatever that long thread debate is...when I read his 'menu' for his chums, well cheers to him but not my style....so I don't know if I need a lot of 'pro' features. Sadly I often heat frozen chicken fries....hanging head in shame. I do try my hand at from scratch meals but more Rachel Ray or Paula or even Gianna...then Emeril OR Julia. And I think Lanaches are BEAUTIFUL.

I appreciate the help.

Trish

• ya_think
    14 years ago

I do not cook like hopscotch or whatever that long thread debate is...when I read his 'menu' for his chums, well cheers to him but not my style....

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!

(Sorry, nothing to contribute.)

• sfjeff
    14 years ago

Not to throw a wrench in things, but I have a feeling you'd be bummed if you found out on delivery day.

How does Mexico sit with you?

I don't think that either GE or Electrolux are US-made any more...

• jakkom
    14 years ago

Heck, nothing wrong with heating up a batch of frozen chicken tenders - life is busy for most people nowadays, so lots of folks who are good cooks take shortcuts all the time!

I love the Lacanche Cormatin (which is one of the very few high-BTU stoves that will fit into my extremely limited space) but I'm just not ready to invest $10K (counting all assorted costs I'd incur) for a stove that is so upscale I'd have to take it with me when I move. I may do it anyway one of these days, but honestly, my DH loves the meals I make on my current Kenmore/Whirlpool stove with its two PowerPlus burners that max out at 15K. So I feel for you as you lust over that beautiful Ilve.

But let's face it, we're perilously close to the line here in getting blurred between the 'wishes' and the 'needs'. If your budget can stand the bigger hit the wished-for range is great. But if it can't - and these days it's a lot better to be conservative than spendthrifty - then go for the mid-priced everyday mfgs, whose stoves are perfectly good ones even if not as gorgeous as those jewel-like Ilves and Lacanches.

My only reservation is that I would recommend an extended warranty, because these everyday appliances are heavily dependent upon electronic circuit boards. And when you are dealing with heat and steam, IMHO it's better to be safe than sorry. BTW, Sears charges more for their extended warranty than other companies, but they are very liberal in offering to extend a warranty when it's close to expiring, which not all service vendors will do. When it comes to circuit boards, another couple of years can make all the difference in having to make that call and knowing you're still covered.

• tntwalter
    Original Author
    14 years ago

What stove are you leaning towards?

Right now I'm really tempted by a 36" WOLF on craigslist for $3500...there's also a 48" for $2899 but that seems to good to be true, you know?

I'm still torn between the F.O. at only $2500 for 36" and the Ilve for $4400...OY. The Ilve has the bottom oven [warming drawer] and self-clean. But wowza.

I think I'm leaning away from 30" towards 36". But it might be overkill...I can cram them in and get 'er done when I have to.

I still like the idea of squaretrade for warranty so it doesn't matter where I buy from.

• sfjeff
    14 years ago

"there's also a 48" [Wolf] for $2899 but that seems to good to be true, you know?"

Make sure it's not a Wolf Commercial, which you can't legally install in a residence in most jurisdictions any more.

• randekasp
    14 years ago

Too off-topic to mention that I went through all of the above before deciding on a basic Kenmore 36 gas range. $1200? Not many frills, but self-cleaning, 5 burners, good looking.
    Good luck!

• tntwalter
    Original Author
    14 years ago

but it's 44". French Door ovens though. She's a beauty.

http://www.ajmadison.com/cgi-bin/ajmadison/HLTXTNGSS.html

Found her for $4k. Love the side opening oven instead of top down opening. Burners top out at 15K which isn't a big deal for me but might for some.

Time to stop dreaming.

rand...I'll probably end up back to where I began also.

sfjeff...thanks for heads up. that's probably why they're cheap!

Trish

• decadeofrenovations
    14 years ago

I love my Fratelli Onofri Royal Chiantishire in burgundy; the price at AMRoyal is phenomenal if you can use the color. I love the burgundy and receive compliments from everyone who sees it. It's 36", dual fuel, convection oven, and has 5 burners. As for oven cleaning, I try to wipe it out frequently, and so far, so good. It doesn't have a lot of digital electronics to go bad. The only negative is the clock/timer. The bell on the timer is not loud enough to hear from another room.

• tntwalter
    Original Author
    14 years ago

So glad you Like the R.C. It's one of my top right now. I was also starting to really get excited about F.O. Evolution. It only comes in stainless and black...

Trish

• laundry_goddess
    14 years ago

Do you have a Costco near where you live?
    Every once in a while they carry the Bluestar RCS 30 inch ranges. I just picked one up yesterday for $1899 Canadian here in Vancouver. And it has convection! I'm so excited - it will be so much better to cook with than my tired 36 inch 1954 RCA Estate range with it's 18 inch oven and rarely used broiler. Cool machine - but it's time to move on.

• tntwalter
    Original Author
    14 years ago

that Bluestars are only at the Canadian Costco. So not fair! But GREAT for you!!

Trish

• laundry_goddess
    14 years ago

Don't give up hope on the bluestars. Last time Costco had them they turned up in the States too. You have to go to the store to know they are there; they didn't have them on line at all last time.

• johnnytugs1
    14 years ago

ya_think i read some of your posts on that other thread ...way to funny.

tntw did you check into American Range? try dvorson's restaurant equipment thats where i got my best price. although i went with the 48". we cook for 3 but on holidays it's more like up to 20. it works great. great for making lots of cookes or cupcakes for school. cut DW cooking time in half for parties and holidays. she sometimes caters professionally. great range, looks great, great customer service! not all the bells & whistles to break down.
    john

• tntwalter
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I ended up finding a Heartland 30" Metro. I'm so excited. Thanks for all the help.

Trish