SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
april_h_o

Spring Wildflowers & Flame Azaleas

Hi, all. I am starting a new job next week, so things have been kind of hectic recently, but I managed to do a short recon mission last week to check on the wildflowers and ladyslipper orchids in Scott's Gulf. The pink orchids were in full bloom, while the yellow ones were just slightly past their prime, but they were still gorgeous. I don't know if the difference in bloom times is related to the variety or to the different locations in which these are found.

{{gwi:1281464}}

The flame azaleas were not ready yet, although Pinxters and other native azaleas were in full bloom. I had noticed in previous years that they usually bloom later than the others. Here is a photo of how they looked on last Thursday, April 27. I apologize for the fuzziness -- I don't have a good lens for closeups.

{{gwi:1281465}}

Based on this I estimated they would be in full bloom this coming weekend, but I guess it could be longer depending on the weather. What do y'all think? I would like to hear your estimates.... Also, although I didn't have a way to mark this one, it is in a prominent position right by the path, so I know where it is if we want to go back and collect seed from it.....I walked straight to it this time, even though I had not been there in a while.

I still want to try to catch them in full bloom, but I will be gone this weekend and starting the new job next week. I might be able to slip up there after work or on the following weekend sometime....

By the way, if you'd like to see all the photos from this scouting trip, follow the URL below. :-)

--April

Here is a link that might be useful: Scott's Gulf Wildflowers

Comments (16)

Sponsored