SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
iam3killerbs

The Perpetual Tomato Support Problem

iam3killerbs
13 years ago

Once again I'm faced with the question of how to keep the tomatoes off the ground. I have never, in the 25 years since I got married and left my Dad's collection of 8-foot locust stakes* behind, found anything that adequately met the following criteria:

1. Sturdiness: Able to hold indeterminate beefsteaks upright in a thunderstorm. Part of sturdiness is termite-resistance. 8ft wooden furring strips were doing well summer before last until the build-up of termite damage in August and September had stakes breaking at ground-level a good month before harvest was complete.

2. Tall: Until last summer DH continued to insist that 5ft would be enough like it was in New England. Then improved soil fertility and better watering systems created 8-9ft monsters (I think that the Juliets, which collapsed under their own weight in the twine cage twice probably hit 15ft total growth). I'm aiming for 7 feet above the ground since that's about as high as I can reach on tiptoe.

3. CHEAP: The recession hit us hard. DH has been just able to keep his business afloat while my company has, over the past month, cut our hours back from 50/week to 32/week. I'm feeding 7 people on a 4 person food budget and the garden must produce significantly more in food value than it has in input costs THIS YEAR.

4. Presentable: We live in town on a corner lot. The garden is not only fully visible from the road but is also 50 feet from one neighbor's pool and 20 feet from another neighbor's patio. A collection of rusting bedframes and such yardsale and trash day finds doesn't cut it. It doesn't have to be beautiful -- its a moderate-income, blue-collar town -- but it has to be neat.

5. Moveable: Must be able to rotate the tomatoes so the otherwise excellent option of fixing tall 4x4's at each end of the garden and securing a cable between them from which I can hang netting, strings, etc. doesn't work. (Wonderful option if you're starting with a piece of property that has and old-fashioned pair of metal-T clotheline supports already in place).

6. New criterion added this year -- Allowing Sufficient Airflow: Thanks to the knowledgeable gardeners here I believe that my rotting on the vine issue was fungal and due to excessive humidity. So I think cage-type arrangements are out.

With the prices on copper or PVC pipe skyrocketing I am out of ideas for tall, cost-effective, termite-proof stakes/fence/trellis supports.

Ideas?

*8ft locust stakes, 1.5-2" in diameter cut from our own woodlot were the most perfect tomato support imaginable. They lasted years, the bark held the ties securely with no slippage, they cost nothing but time, and with at least a foot sunk into the heavy, clay soil and anchored with a few rocks never went over no matter how violent the weather. Sigh.

Comments (26)