SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nanajolo

It's in the soil! or Why gardening is so GOOD for us

nanajolo
14 years ago

Now, I'm a SFGning grandma (1st year student), not a naturalist, a health-nut, or even a 'return to the earth' crusader. We all know that homegrown veggies and fruits are healthier for us, and they taste better than store bought. There's also the aspect of getting outdoors for a little exercise in the sun with its Vitamin D benefits, just to highlight a few.

But I've just read an article that reasonably explains how gardening affects the gardener both physically and mentally because of what is in the soil itself! I found it fascinating and wanted to share it with other gardeners. The article was mentioned in a monthly news magazine I regularly read, and I found the original article online. It is in PSYCHOLOGY TODAY. The link is below.

The article stated "it looks increasingly like ingesting components of the soil itself might be as critical to human health as the very finest fruits and veggies grown in it." We "are exposed to it through inhalation and ingestion of small particles any time you dig outside or eat lettuce plucked from your garden." The article provides an explanation to the fact that gardening can lift our mood when we are depressed and how it will boost our immune system. ItÂs all in the soil!

Hope some of you will find it as interesting as I did. Who knew that the soil we garden in was so beneficial to us on so many levels?

Here is a link that might be useful: Nature's Bounty: Soil Salvation

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Swimming Pool Builders in Licking County, OH